Poll

What's your favorite film by Masaki Kobayashi?

Black River
0 (0%)
The Human Condition I
5 (20%)
The Human Condition II
0 (0%)
The Human Condition III
0 (0%)
Harakiri
11 (44%)
Kwaidan
2 (8%)
Samurai Rebellion
0 (0%)
At the Risk of My Life
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
7 (28%)
don't like any
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Kobayashi, Masaki  (Read 7591 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Kobayashi, Masaki
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:33:22 AM »
1. Harakiri
2. Human Condition I
3. Black River
4. The Inheritance
5. Kwaidan
6. Human Condition III
7. The Thick-Walled Room
8. Human Condition II

9. I Will Buy You
10. Samurai Rebellion

I'd like to re-evaluate the HC trilogy... I was very impressed at first, but found the depression of it so daunting that I haven't had the nerve to watch it again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:49:51 PM by 1SO »

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Director's Best: Masaki Kobayashi
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
I've only seen The Human Condition I, but it was great.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
1. Harakiri
2. Samurai Rebellion

I've seen the first 2/3 of Kwaidan and really liked it, but haven't finished yet.  I also have the Human Condition sitting here unwatched.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Harakiri

Samurai Rebellion
The Human Condition III
The Human Condition II
The Human Condition I

Black River
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:58:36 PM by Antares »
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Kobayashi, Masaki
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 10:53:41 PM »
1. The Human Condition I
2. The Human Condition III
3. Samurai Rebellion
4. Kwaidan

5. Youth of the Son
6. The Human Condition II

7. Harakiri
8. The Inheritance
9. The Thick-Walled Room

10. I Will Buy You
11. Black River
12. Somewhere Beneath the Wide Sky
13. Sincere Heart
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:12:52 AM by 1SO »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
Obviously, I need to watch Samurai Rebellion immediately.

Going by your ranking of Harakiri, you may not be enthralled by it. It's very similar in its pacing and story structure.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
That's fine. I liked Harakiri. It's just that compared to his other films it's a lot more still and formal in its style. Plus Rebellion matches Kobayashi with Mifune.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
I love this guy's movies and wish there was a lot more of them.

5/5
Human Condition I
Human Condition II
Harakiri

4/5
Human Condition III
Samurai Rebellion

3/5
Kwaidan

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
Samurai Rebellion

The long fuse is such a tricky gamble with a film. So much easier to just keep throwing action and eye candy at the viewer. The problem is what works for one person might be too slow for another. Perhaps the most acclaimed long fuse on the boards is Once Upon a Time in the West. A great recent example is Inglorious Bastards, a series of long fuses. Harakiri was a long fuse, which is why Antares said...

Obviously, I need to watch Samurai Rebellion immediately.

Going by your ranking of Harakiri, you may not be enthralled by it. It's very similar in its pacing and story structure.

I can't tell you why the waiting in Harakiri didn't click with me the way it did in Samurai Rebellion. Maybe it's because I was coming off of The Human Condition at the time. I easily think outside factors played into it, but the important thing is Samurai Rebellion was Awesome! Two-thirds of constantly building tension, leading to a third-act that reminded me a lot of the great finales Sergio Leone would provide. I could so easily have been bored by the film which is mostly talk and the avoidance of action. Years ago I'm certain that would be the case.

The plot starts in confusion but builds through the characters and the proper articles of respect and honor into a great moral dilemma. This is what I like best about Japanese cinema, the way moral codes and personal beliefs are often put in conflict with each other. (There's a similar drama frequently for British films, but I'm much more fascinated by it in the Japanese context.) From there is a build of rights and wrongs every bit as good as Shakespeare and Greek tragedy. Clans are put in opposition to their Lords and forced to choose between shaming their master or themselves. Eventually, this build will end in the drawing of swords.

Toshirô Mifune stars, and he's good but not great. A bit of a bad fit at first as his character demands Mifune greatly muffle his charisma. As the conflict builds, Mifune grows more comfortable with the part. I'm curious as to what lead Kobayashi's usual lead Tatsuya Nakadai to take the guest star role. He's the best friend of Mifune who plays an important part in the finale when he must make a moral decision of his own.

Masaki Kobayashi delivers another masterpiece of direction. Yesterday I spoke about the opening shot where the sword becomes a man and the man becomes his sword. Stylistic flourishes (freeze frames, dramatic lighting shifts) are minimal, and very striking when they're employed. Like the basement scene in Bastards, frames are classic yet wonderfully composed. Sometimes it reminded me of the stillness of Ozu. I got increasingly giddy as each demand was countered and the options box slowly emptied out.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
I'm curious as to what lead Kobayashi's usual lead Tatsuya Nakadai to take the guest star role.

I would fathom a guess that Kobayashi had his first chance to work with Mifune, and asked Nakadai to accept the supporting role. Nakadai, having been the lead in the previous year's Sword of Doom, which Mifune had a supporting role in, acquiesced.

Glad to see you liked this film. Wait a couple of months and revisit Harakiri. As much as I like Samurai Rebellion, the former is definitely the better overall film.