Poll

What's your favorite film by David and Albert Maysles?

Salesman
1 (5%)
Gimme Shelter
9 (45%)
Grey Gardens
4 (20%)
Running Fence
0 (0%)
The Beales of Grey Gardens
0 (0%)
Haven't seen any
6 (30%)
Don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Maysles, David and Albert  (Read 2408 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Maysles, David and Albert
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:19 AM »
1. Gimmie Shelter
2. Muhammad and Larry
3. Salesman

4. Grey Gardens
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:17:39 AM by 1SO »

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »
Grey Gardens (1975)
★ ★ ½
When I first watched Grey Gardens, back in the 90s, I had a strange reaction because the film is one of the most acclaimed documentaries of all time. I couldn’t understand how the Beales touched a sentimental nerve with so many people because I found them annoying. Annoying then and annoying now. I’m certain they’re not being held up for ridicule, but am I supposed to pity them? Embrace them? Are we just observing these unique individuals and walking the mile in their shoes? Because these shoes never fit me and I didn’t understand why I was wearing them, why so many others would want to.

Muhammad and Larry (2009)
★ ★ ★ – Good
Much as I think I know Ali because he’s the Michael Jordan of boxing and one of sports’ greatest legends, this wedge of his career proves that there’s so much to learn about him. (This doc makes me mad all over again about Michael Mann’s wasteful Ali, which also focuses on a small span of the man’s life and tells us almost nothing.) There’s also much more to be told about Larry Holmes, living in the shadow of Ali and never getting the recognition he deserved, partly because he avoided the spotlight and partly because he was despised as the man who beat Ali. Good as this doc is, I can’t get past how much more there is. Even just this slice could’ve benefitted from another half-hour, which might’ve brought it up to the greatness of When We Were Kings.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »
Grey Gardens, 75°
Gimme Shelter, 55°
Salesman, 40°

There should be a deathmatch between Gimmie Shelter and Woodstock.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

love