Author Topic: Pronunciation  (Read 2587 times)

Roy

• Say "what" one more time!
Pronunciation
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:12:54 PM »
I sent an email a few days ago, complaining that Adam and Matty have been dropping the ball when it came to pronouncing the names of German-speaking filmmakers. My example was Michael Haneke, which should be pronounced "Mich-ai-el" with that "ch" being a German, back-of-the-throat ch. But I only know that because I live in a German-speaking country.

So, listeners in other countries: please school Adam and Matty (and everyone else) in how to properly pronounce some of the trickier filmmakers' names from your native land, names especially difficult for midwesterners.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Pronunciation
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 02:15:31 PM »
If the boys need any help with Canadian pronunciations, I'd be happy to help.  :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 02:34:30 PM »
Or listen to Left Field Cinema where Mike Dawson seems to go out of his way to pronounce films and filmmakers differently.

Roy

• Say "what" one more time!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »
Now that I think about it, perhaps trying to correctly pronounce everything may end up with them sounding pretentious. Only a serious snob would insist that Schwarzenegger be pronounced with a V-sounding W.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 03:27:48 PM »
Now that I think about it, perhaps trying to correctly pronounce everything may end up with them sounding pretentious. Only a serious snob would insist that Schwarzenegger be pronounced with a V-sounding W.

Or Mia Wasikowska?

I did hear Mike Dawson pronounce Joe's full name (director of Syndromes and a Century). That was rather interesting. I'd rather just call him Joe.

But I think it is all pointless. My last name is French, but if you pronounced it in the French style, you'd be mispronouncing it (well, pronouncing it differently than I do), because we've been in American for 300 years and it has been anglicized. I'm a little baffled with the idea that proper names, unlike all other words, are immune from pronunciation transformations across languages and dialects.