Poll

What's your favorite film by Jacques Tourneur?

Cat People
2 (8.3%)
I Walked with a Zombie
2 (8.3%)
The Leopard Man
0 (0%)
Days of Glory
0 (0%)
Experiment Perilous
0 (0%)
Canyon Passage
2 (8.3%)
Out of the Past
11 (45.8%)
Berlin Express
0 (0%)
Easy Living
0 (0%)
Stars in My Crown
0 (0%)
The Flame and the Arrow
1 (4.2%)
Anne of the Indies
0 (0%)
Stranger on Horseback
0 (0%)
Wichita
0 (0%)
Great Day in the Morning
0 (0%)
Nightfall
0 (0%)
Night of the Demon
1 (4.2%)
The Fearmakers
0 (0%)
The Comedy of Terrors
0 (0%)
other (please specifiy)
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
4 (16.7%)
don't like any
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Tourneur, Jacques  (Read 4662 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Tourneur, Jacques
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 11:08:17 PM »
Circle of Danger (1951)
Ray Milland plays an American who travels to England to learn why his brother was the sole fatality during a commando mission in World War II. Murder mystery potential wasted because Milland isn't trustworthy, which means you literally have nobody you can believe, and Tourneur spends too much time on unimportant things, like a romantic sub-plot and conversations about etiquette and automobiles.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Directors Best Poll - Jacques Tourneur
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2017, 02:51:11 PM »
The Flame and the Arrow (1950)
Boldly invites comparison to The Adventures of Robin Hood and manages to capture some of the same fun and adventure while remaining constantly under the shadow of the cinema supreme. Burt Lancaster is no Errol Flynn, Virginia Mayo is no Olivia de Havilland and Jacques Tourneur is no Michael Curtiz, but each is hugely talented in their own way. In particular, Lancaster's acrobat background fits the action better than I expected (which is to say Gymkata this is not.) Not Tourneur's best work, but there are touches that remind me of him so this isn't a work-for-hire out of his element. The film's weakness is sometimes taking the events seriously at which point the drama goes flat, mostly in the middle. When the emphasis is on comedy, action and fun, it's no Robin Hood but it satisfies. 
RATING: * * * - Okay

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 01:23:19 AM »
I'm reading through these reviews and wondering why I've never seen this director highlighted.  These sound like a number of fantastic films.  Especially Canyon Passage and Stars in my Crown
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Back when we did the Director Ratings Project Tourneur came in at #72.

Here is Sandy's review of Canyon Passage and my own * * * * review.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
Thanks for posting that link, 1SO. :)

Also, re-reading your review makes me want to re-watch Canyon Passage to see what deeper layers I can discover too!
"I'm a new day rising."

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 05:25:17 AM »
I Walked With A Zombie, 40
Night Of The Demon, 35
Wichita, 30
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:50:03 AM by Knocked Out Loaded »
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »
Updated Rankings

Experiment Perilous (1944)
★ ★
Gaslight Goth Noir is the dud I always read it was. The script is a textbook case of how not to build momentum, with a structure that has the lead sitting down to read a two-part flashback. Tourneur finds small moments to create unique imagery, but the characters are all lifeless and I have to blame the cast of 2nd stringers. George Brent, Hedy Lamarr and Paul Lukas can be good, but they need strong actors to play off of.

I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I've only seen 3 films that attempt to deal realistically with zombies. White Zombie I hated, and The Serpent and The Rainbow was a long time ago, though I liked it a lot. So while I can't compare, this is in line with Serpent. The highlight is definitely the "walk" scene where two women travel through some increasingly ominous terrain towards a voodoo village. The rituals feel very real and respectful to the religion. (I like the earlier line about their religion being as much about faith and belief as Christianity, though the practices of the two couldn't be more different.) I wish there was more of this.

What didn't work for me was the relationship between the new nurse and the people she's hired to work for. It's given no development and I didn't take it seriously when the nurse falls in love with one of the men, though apparently I'm supposed to. Typical of early horror films, Zombie discards logic or any sort of story/character development in order to keep things short, but Tourneur sustains the atmosphere of shadows and dread for most of the film.