Author Topic: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love  (Read 22273 times)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
Re: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Requiem for a Dream [I'm always shocked to see this ranked higher than The Fountain]

It's because The Fountain is incomprehensible, boring garbage.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #131 on: November 03, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
Requiem for a Dream [I'm always shocked to see this ranked higher than The Fountain]

I'm pretty sure that applies to all pre-Wrestler Aronofsky films.   :)
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #132 on: November 03, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure that applies to all pre-Wrestler Aronofsky films.   :)

No . . . it's just that one.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #133 on: November 03, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Aww, I love magical trees.  :(

Harbinger of Duh

• Your Indolent Friend
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2010, 03:14:03 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised to see so much "2001" hate around here. Whenever I tell people that I think Emperor Kubrick isn't wearing any clothes -- at least when it comes to that film -- they look at me like I'm insane. Honestly, though, aside from the HAL business and a few arresting visual moments, "2001" strikes me as the epitome of boring, pretentious art-film wankery. If it weren't for the accompanying music, the giant space fetus at the end would elicit more guffaws than anything from the Star Wars prequels.

Others:

The Thin Red Line - actually, THIS is the epitome of boring, pretentious art-film wankery.
Donnie Darko - I'd probably slap this with the BPAFW label too, but the creepy bunny is at least some fun.
The Searchers - I've never been able to get interested in the folksy, sanitized Westerns of the John Ford era. This one gets extra demerits for trying to say something serious and failing. When you cast artificially tanned white people as Native Americans instead of, you know, ACTUAL NATIVE AMERICANS, your condemnations of racism tend to ring rather hollow.
Superman - hasn't aged well.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves - ditto.
Primer - I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but this is that rare instance of a low budget seriously hampering my enjoyment of the film.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - All I can say is, I want to slug Ferris Bueller right in his smirky, platitude-spewing mouth.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:48 AM »
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - All I can say is, I want to slug Ferris Bueller right in his smirky, platitude-spewing mouth.

Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa......what?!?!?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

Your condemnations of 2001 and TTRL are unfortunate (as is your use of the word "pretentious") but at least we can agree on this.  FB is pretty much a terrible person.

I always liked this analysis.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »

Wha? Having just watched that film last year for the Disney Marathion, it's aged beautifully. Not only is the animation still top notch, and the idea of presenting an archetype character still works perfectly.

Your condemnations of 2001 and TTRL are unfortunate (as is your use of the word "pretentious") but at least we can agree on this.  FB is pretty much a terrible person.

But he's still fun to watch from a distance through a movie screen, which is pretty much the whole point of the character.

Harbinger of Duh

• Your Indolent Friend
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:34 AM »

Wha? Having just watched that film last year for the Disney Marathion, it's aged beautifully. Not only is the animation still top notch, and the idea of presenting an archetype character still works perfectly.

Eh, might just be a matter of taste. It's the voice acting that really gets to me in Snow White, particularly Snow White herself. Ugh, she is just so mannered and cloying. As for the animation, I don't think it's a patch on something like Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella, but again, that might just be taste.

But he's still fun to watch from a distance through a movie screen, which is pretty much the whole point of the character.

You're right that it is the whole point of the character, which is why the movie just doesn't work for me. Ferris Bueller is NOT fun for me to watch, because the entire time I'm thinking about all the people he's taking advantage of just to get his "escape" from the horrors of being a privileged white kid. The only reason it's possible to see Ferris as anything other than a jerk is because Hughes stacks the deck so mercilessly against his other characters: the best friend is a pitiful wuss, the sister is a sour-faced killjoy, the principal is a creepy, pratfalling bureaucrat, etc. etc.

I'd rather read "Calvin and Hobbes": at least Bill Watterson occasionally acknowledges the inherent selfishness of Calvin's quest to escape the dullness of everyday life to have fun all the time.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:18:15 AM by Harbinger of Duh »

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 12:53:49 PM »
The trick with Ferris Beuller is to pay attention to how other react to him. Think about Cameron as the main character, with the other characters supporting and Ferris as some force like the Joker or the shark from Jaws and you might realize the film is actually a masterpiece.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love