love

Author Topic: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love  (Read 22339 times)

Private Hudson

• Top10Films
Re: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
Apologies to Strongbad

This is where one divides the real friends from those just feigning friendship.  If I hate a film you love, will you still speak civilly to me?

1. The Piano-- My most hated movie of all time.  I get angry just thinking about the film.
2. Pleasantville-- The worst preachy movie I've ever seen.
3. Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian-- I don't think it got a single scene right.  And they continue to let this story-murderer do the other books?
4. Dan in Real Life-- I cringed throughout this whole movie.  They couldn't do anything right, and they were so stupid about it.
5. Eraserhead-- Incomprehensible and ugly.
6. A Fish Called Wanda-- Just not funny.  And they tried so hard.
7. Happy Together-- What an ugly relationship. 
8. The Wild-- A really boring remake of Madagascar.  Wow, that is so pathetic.
9. Rambo: First Blood Part II-- The Vietnam war was bad enough.
10. Robin Hood-- I am really sorry, Corndog, but I just don't see anything in this film.

Honorable mentions (movies I didn't hate, but I didn't like):
Fanny and Alexander
Nosferatu
Happy Gilmore
Terms of Endearment
Tombstone

Now, who will be as bold as I?  Who will stand with me in the outcast corner?  Will YOU post your bottom 10?

The only one I'd have any disagreement with on this list is a Fish Called Wanda but otherwise I'm in agreement.

I've always disliked Rambo II - just think it became a mindless action movie where the first film made a point and had a decent story.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:34 AM »
1. The Original Star Wars Trilogy - outdated FX

Does this really factor into it though? You like 2001 and Ghostbusters... their effects are just as outdated.

I still think that Ghostbusters has some pretty good effects. Sure, it's hit or miss, the dogs are pretty bad, but the stay puft marshmallow man makes up for everything. But Star Wars is still so much better.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:12 AM »
3. The Matrix - An overstuffed CGI fest that completely turned me off.
4. The Seven Samurai - A film that would be great had it been an hour shorter and more tamed, realistic performances.
8. No Country For Old Men - Yawn.

Silly Man.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:43 AM »
1) Elephant/Paranoid Park-  Not sure which one I was more disinterested in; found both kind of pretentious and interminable, despite the relatively short running times.  Was a little disappointed when Matty named Elephant his best of the decade; have no problem with and can understand others liking these films, but #1 of the decade?  Come on!
2) Where the Wild Things Are- Know this was pretty divisive- I was on the extreme end of the 'hated it' side.  
3) Man on Wire- Big documentary fan, thought I would love this one going in... not sure what all the hype was about.  Was not a fan of the reenactments.  
4) L’Enfant- Would also include the Dardenne brothers' Lorna's Silence among recent disappointments; don't mind slow, depressing films when done right, but just didn't find these stories engaging enough to compensate for what I found to be unlikable characters and drab landscapes... don't mind unlikable characters, but found the characters in these films somewhat irritating and uninteresting to watch.  
5) Punch-Drunk Love- There Will Be Blood in my Top 10 of the Decade, Punch-Drunk Love may be my #1 most overrated.
6)  Strangers on a Train- Seemed ridiculously dated to me when I watched it (yet the more dated aspects of most of Hitchcock's other films don't normally bother me that much).  
7) The 400 Blows- Kind of dozed through much of it; having not seen much Truffaut, was glad that I liked Jules and Jim quite a bit on a recent viewing.  
8) Grave of the Fireflies- Went in really wanting to love this due to all the FS love, but was pretty sure high expectations/relative apathy towards animated features would lead to disappointment; I was right!  
9) The Deer Hunter- Not sure what the overall opinion of the film is among the FS listenership, but know I checked my watch pretty much every scene not involving Russian roulette.  
10) Taxi Driver- Don't dislike it, but far and away my least favorite of Scorcese's major films.  

This list hurt the most so far. Welcome to the forum!

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2010, 06:30:04 AM »
Working my way down the top 100 and picking out the ones I intensely dislike.

1. 2001
2. Strangelove
3. 400 Blows
4. Sunset Blvd.
5. Taxi Driver
6. Night of the Hunter
7. Badlands
8. Ran
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Trainspotting

I only hate 2001 and Night of the Hunter.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2010, 07:22:28 AM »
Working my way down the top 100 and picking out the ones I intensely dislike.

1. 2001
2. Strangelove
3. 400 Blows
4. Sunset Blvd.
5. Taxi Driver
6. Night of the Hunter
7. Badlands
8. Ran
9. Glengarry Glen Ross
10. Trainspotting

I only hate 2001 and Night of the Hunter.

How does one hate 2001?

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »

Does this really factor into it though? You like 2001 and Ghostbusters... their effects are just as outdated.

I still think that Ghostbusters has some pretty good effects. Sure, it's hit or miss, the dogs are pretty bad, but the stay puft marshmallow man makes up for everything. But Star Wars is still so much better.

I wasn't actually addressing the quality of the effects but asking what age has to do with anything, as he listed "outdated FX" and not "bad looking FX". Maybe that's what was implied though... GC?

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »
Didn't realise so many of yins were anti-Taxi Driver.

ZBetonte

• Film Jive
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
Didn't realise so many of yins were anti-Taxi Driver.

I know! This has blown my mind haha

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2010, 04:12:01 PM »

I wasn't actually addressing the quality of the effects but asking what age has to do with anything, as he listed "outdated FX" and not "bad looking FX". Maybe that's what was implied though... GC?

It was.

love