Author Topic: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love  (Read 22345 times)

bobbyb

Re: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
Overall, this thread is kinda giving me the shakes. (I can't even comprehend all of the Taxi Driver hate.) Still...

1. Post-Pulp Tarantino - The ripping off films thing (ok fine...paying homage thing) that he does was mildly entertaining at first, but now it's just distracting and everything after PF is all too mediocre and gratuitous for my liking.

2. The Departed - While this forum seems to have the hate on for Taxi Driver, I think The Departed is easily one of Scorsese's worst films. There is not one fascinating character in that movie and I can't help but feel that most people are just partially blinded by all of the star power on the screen, as opposed to actual film quality.

3. Post-Insomniac Nolan - I actually like all of Chris's movies as far as the enjoyable popcorn flick goes, but the man has an amazing way of tricking people into thinking his flicks are much more than they actually are. One example: I interpreted the spinning top at the end of Inception as kind of a funny way to end the movie, similar to the smiling plant at the end of Little Shop of Horrors, but for some reason it made everybody else "think." huh?

4. Avatar - One of the worst movies of all time. Period.

5. Duck Soup - I think this was probably quite funny when it came out, but having only seen it recently, I can't remember the last time I groaned more at so much corny-ness. One of the earlier episodes of Cinecast made a similar argument concerning Mel Brooks movies, but those ones still make me laugh personally. This didn't.

6. Elephant - I suppose that I respect this one to an extent, but this film just made me feel empty for some reason. I don't go to the movies to feel empty.

7. Die Hard - Bruce Willis? Really?

8. Lawrence of Arabia - I think maybe I have to see this one again, but when I saw it several years ago I thought it was visually stunning, but otherwise boring as cuss.

9. Judd Apatow movies - Some I hate, others are a smooth pile of meh, but overall I can only take so many poopoo/peepee jokes.

10. Moulin Rouge - I am an unabashed musical lover, but hearing Nirvana performed show-tune style just bugs me ;)
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

flieger

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »
5. Duck Soup - I think this was probably quite funny when it came out, but having only seen it recently, I can't remember the last time I groaned more at so much corny-ness. One of the earlier episodes of Cinecast made a similar argument concerning Mel Brooks movies, but those ones still make me laugh personally. This didn't.

Love all the Duck Soup hatred going on. Makes me feel smug and superior.

My insides get all eaten up too, though.  :(

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2010, 01:36:20 AM »

Oh like you need an excuse :P

flieger

« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:22 AM »

Oh like you need an excuse :P

(Where's that snob emoticon when I need it...?)  :P

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
6. Elephant - I suppose that I respect this one to an extent, but this film just made me feel empty for some reason. I don't go to the movies to feel empty.

So you thought it worked?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2010, 02:26:24 PM »
Overall, this thread is kinda giving me the shakes. (I can't even comprehend all of the Taxi Driver hate.) Still...

1. Post-Pulp Tarantino - The ripping off films thing (ok fine...paying homage thing) that he does was mildly entertaining at first, but now it's just distracting and everything after PF is all too mediocre and gratuitous for my liking.

2. The Departed - While this forum seems to have the hate on for Taxi Driver, I think The Departed is easily one of Scorsese's worst films. There is not one fascinating character in that movie and I can't help but feel that most people are just partially blinded by all of the star power on the screen, as opposed to actual film quality.

3. Post-Insomniac Nolan - I actually like all of Chris's movies as far as the enjoyable popcorn flick goes, but the man has an amazing way of tricking people into thinking his flicks are much more than they actually are. One example: I interpreted the spinning top at the end of Inception as kind of a funny way to end the movie, similar to the smiling plant at the end of Little Shop of Horrors, but for some reason it made everybody else "think." huh?

4. Avatar - One of the worst movies of all time. Period.

7. Die Hard - Bruce Willis? Really?

8. Lawrence of Arabia - I think maybe I have to see this one again, but when I saw it several years ago I thought it was visually stunning, but otherwise boring as cuss.

9. Judd Apatow movies - Some I hate, others are a smooth pile of meh, but overall I can only take so many poopoo/peepee jokes.

10. Moulin Rouge - I am an unabashed musical lover, but hearing Nirvana performed show-tune style just bugs me ;)

I agree with the Departed comments.  Everything else though (namely the Die Hard and Lawrence of Arabia comments) shake me to the bone.  Welcome to the boards.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
Hey bobbyb welcome!
There's a thread to what you say that makes total sense ie if you have a certain taste your choices are spot on and consistent. I like Elephant for doing right by the subject and actually love the casting of The Departed (Farmiga, Wahlburg, Baldwin, Sheen, Winstone) but think Scorcese is a hack these days.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

bobbyb

« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »

So you thought it worked?

Yah, I get what you're saying. Elephant is kind of a tough one for me because I really didn't enjoy it at all, but at the same time it obviously wasn't meant to be particularly enjoyable. I guess I just didn't feel that watching it enhanced my life in any way, yet I will acknowledge the fact that calling it a bad movie would be ignorant on my part.

I agree with the Departed comments.  Everything else though (namely the Die Hard and Lawrence of Arabia comments) shake me to the bone.  Welcome to the boards.

Thanks man. Admittedly, it has been like ten years since I last saw Arabia so I should probably watch it again. Die Hard I stand by my opinion though ;)

Hey bobbyb welcome!
There's a thread to what you say that makes total sense ie if you have a certain taste your choices are spot on and consistent. I like Elephant for doing right by the subject and actually love the casting of The Departed (Farmiga, Wahlburg, Baldwin, Sheen, Winstone) but think Scorcese is a hack these days.

I usually like all of the actors in The Departed too and I think they handle their parts just fine, but I just didn't think that the characters they played, nor the plotline, were at all interesting.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:39 PM »
I also love the your avatar.  Better off Dead is awesome!
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2010, 02:13:36 AM »
Speaking of Die Hard... Wait maybe I should redirect you to THE POLL. ::)