love

Author Topic: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love  (Read 22328 times)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Confession Time: Bottom 10 Films Others Love
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2010, 10:49:58 AM »
bobbyb, two words- Infernal Affairs
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Adrienne

« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:28 AM »
Three more words: yes yes yes

bobbyb

« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »

I thought about seeing that one but from what I've heard, the storyline, script and dialogue are pretty much the same, and that's exactly what I didn't like about the movie. If the acting was the problem, then I could see the logic in trying out a different take on the film. I guess that it's really a question as to whether or not Lau and Mak's direction is that much different than Scorsese's, since the direction is another semi-weak link against The Departed for me.

What do you think? If I didn't like The Departed for all of those reasons, is Infernal Affairs still worth checking out?
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2010, 03:06:20 PM »
Infernal Affairs is quiet and paced much better, less bombastic, cooler. You will recognise plots points but it feels completely different. The main thing is Tony Leung and Andy Lau kick DiCaprio and Damon's butts in the lead roles. There is an early scene in an audio shop between the two that The Departed wishes it had in it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
Infernal Affairs is quiet and paced much better, less bombastic, cooler. You will recognise plots points but it feels completely different. The main thing is Tony Leung and Andy Lau kick DiCaprio and Damon's butts in the lead roles. There is an early scene in an audio shop between the two that The Departed wishes it had in it.

This, plus IA is all about the deception and the psychology of its two leads and their situation. It's much more dense and complicated that The Departed, which is just shallow and not well made.

bobbyb

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2010, 05:49:13 PM »

This, plus IA is all about the deception and the psychology of its two leads and their situation. It's much more dense and complicated that The Departed, which is just shallow and not well made.

Interesting. Yah, I think that I'll definitely have to check it out now. Thanks :)
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work ... I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »
They are both brilliant.

A personal preference for some scenes in The Departed swings it deep into my top films.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

corey.hiscocks

« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
Here's a few I get crap for not liking a lot...

Forrest Gump [the best way I know to describe it is this: I consider Forrest Gump the Everybody Loves Raymond of film]
Raging Bull
Requiem for a Dream [I'm always shocked to see this ranked higher than The Fountain]
Star Wars [pretty much all of them save The Empire Strikes Back]
Donnie Darko
Mystic River [Sean Penn may have killed this thing, but Linney certainly buried it.]
The Sixth Sense
The Godfather [Part II blows it out of the water, I think]

And although I don't think it's terribly overrated, hearing people call Saving Private Ryan a better film than The Thin Red Line is outrageous to me...

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »
Here's a few I get crap for not liking a lot...

Mystic River [Sean Penn may have killed this thing, but Linney certainly buried it.]
You won't get any crap from me on this one. :) But I blame Eastwood more than Penn and Linney.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »
Forrest Gump
Requiem for a Dream
Mystic River

I don't like these, either.

Raging Bull
Star Wars
Donnie Darko
The Sixth Sense
The Godfather

These are all okay-to-good, but I feel comfortable calling them overrated.

And although I don't think it's terribly overrated, hearing people call Saving Private Ryan a better film than The Thin Red Line is outrageous to me...

Likewise.