Author Topic: pixote's super slow dictation marathon  (Read 33229 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: pixote's super slow dictation marathon
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
Oh Blair Witch Project all the way then! omg. Do you scare easy? I think you should watch it WITH somebody or I'll be concerned for your well-being.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:18 PM »
Alright, I need a guage... you've seen most of these haven't you?
Haven't seen:

20 Demolition Man

heh, was this close   to adding that to my list of options.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2010, 07:57:32 AM »
Alright, I need a guage... you've seen most of these haven't you?
Haven't seen:

20 Demolition Man
heh, was this close   to adding that to my list of options.
What a fun, fun film eh. Rated-R, big concept/budget, great comedy, sci-fi/post-apocalyptic/uptopia, Sandra Bullock is cute, Snipes has never been better, good one-liners. It all comes together. I think pix will do the right thing and just watch this on his own. ;)

Mosca

« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:51 AM »
Well, I'd like YOU to see Otley
If you can find it, that is.  :D

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »
I love 21st Century cinema and silent films more than any thing. I took a look at your top 100 film list to try and give you a movie you might enjoy. Firstly I must say your top 100 is amazing. A lot of different types of films. I am impressed. I am glad you have a Satyajit Ray film there as well.

I will give a few films and you can choose. Chances are you have already watched the American films I am giving you.

The Big Parade (It is one of my top 5 films. I was so over whelmed when I saw it on TCM Asia a few years ago)
Scarface (1932) (I love Gangster films and this is my favorite of the genre and also has my favorite actor in Muni)
I am a Fugitive from the Chaingang (Muni again)
Pyaasa (Guru Dutt's iconic Indian film. Perhaps the greatest hindi film ever. They watched it for the bollywood marathon and really loved it)
Interiors (Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors and I loved this film. I gave it a 10/10. It is a hurt wrenching drama which fills you completely.)
Bolwieser (Well I can't find the longer version any where. I will try the German embassy which has 350 German films when I want to rewatch this but the version I did watch was exceptional as well. Fassbinder btw.)
Lady Chatterley (This movie shows pure passion like I have never seen on cinema. The lead actor was compared to Brando and it is a very special film)
Bari Theke Paliye (Ritwik Ghatak's film which preceded Trauffat's 400 Blows. 400 Blows is a favorite of yours, so you might like this. It is a great film)
Ordet (The best film ever on the subject of faith. Cannot be surpassed)

That's enough choices I hope. :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
If you can find it, that is.  :D

Done!

I love 21st Century cinema and silent films more than any thing. I took a look at your top 100 film list to try and give you a movie you might enjoy. Firstly I must say your top 100 is amazing. A lot of different types of films. I am impressed. I am glad you have a Satyajit Ray film there as well.

Thanks for the compliment! I wish Ray's films would get released here in good versions. I haven't seen anything but the Apu trilogy. I'll probably watch worm's favorite (Churulata) soon, though.

I will give a few films and you can choose. Chances are you have already watched the American films I am giving you.

The Big Parade (It is one of my top 5 films. I was so over whelmed when I saw it on TCM Asia a few years ago)
Scarface (1932) (I love Gangster films and this is my favorite of the genre and also has my favorite actor in Muni)
I am a Fugitive from the Chaingang (Muni again)
Pyaasa (Guru Dutt's iconic Indian film. Perhaps the greatest hindi film ever. They watched it for the bollywood marathon and really loved it)
Interiors (Woody Allen is one of my favorite directors and I loved this film. I gave it a 10/10. It is a hurt wrenching drama which fills you completely.)
Bolwieser (Well I can't find the longer version any where. I will try the German embassy which has 350 German films when I want to rewatch this but the version I did watch was exceptional as well. Fassbinder btw.)
Lady Chatterley (This movie shows pure passion like I have never seen on cinema. The lead actor was compared to Brando and it is a very special film)
Bari Theke Paliye (Ritwik Ghatak's film which preceded Trauffat's 400 Blows. 400 Blows is a favorite of yours, so you might like this. It is a great film)
Ordet (The best film ever on the subject of faith. Cannot be surpassed)

That's enough choices I hope. :)

I've already seen The Big Parade and Scarface. The Big Parade just missed making my Top 100, in fact. I think I really liked Scarface, too, but I should revisit it. I may have seen Interiors, too, but I can't even remember for sure. I think I've always been a little wary of it because it sounds like Woody Allen trying to make a Bergman film, and I'm always just like, "You know, I'd rather just watch a Bergman film by Bergman." :)

Ordet is high up on my list of things I want to see, so that's a great choice. But I'm also really keen to see one of Ghatak's films, and Bari Theke Paliye sounds lovely. Pyaasa, too, sounds like something I should really check out and something that I might never get around to without a dictation. Lady Chatterley (it's the 2006 French film, right?) doesn't appeal to me as much, but maybe that's all the more reason I should watch it. I can't find the tv version of Bolweiser (aka, The Stationmaster's Wife, for those following along), but I could definitely watch the theatrical version. I definitely need to see more Fassbinder.

So, like always, I'm torn about what to watch. I'm probably drawn most towards Bari Theke Paliye, but I leave the final choice up to you.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
I'll probably watch worm's favorite (Churulata) soon, though.

Best Xmas gift ever!!

Mosca

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2010, 01:21:37 PM »
If you can find it, that is.  :D
Done!
Oh lord I hope you like it now. Tenterhooks...

Pratters

• Indian Cinephile who loves World Cinema
    • My Blog
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
Ordet is high up on my list of things I want to see, so that's a great choice. But I'm also really keen to see one of Ghatak's films, and Bari Theke Paliye sounds lovely. Pyaasa, too, sounds like something I should really check out and something that I might never get around to without a dictation. Lady Chatterley (it's the 2006 French film, right?) doesn't appeal to me as much, but maybe that's all the more reason I should watch it. I can't find the tv version of Bolweiser (aka, The Stationmaster's Wife, for those following along), but I could definitely watch the theatrical version. I definitely need to see more Fassbinder.

So, like always, I'm torn about what to watch. I'm probably drawn most towards Bari Theke Paliye, but I leave the final choice up to you.  :)

Ok then, please watch Badi Theke Paliye and I hope you enjoy it. Regarding Ordet, it is one of the greatest films and you should definitely watch it at some point in your life.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:28:07 PM by pixote »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
Bari Theke Paliye is nice, but when it comes to Ghatak, I much prefer Subarnarekha and Meghe Dhaka Tara.  BTP might be an easier entry point though, since it's more light-hearted.

Ordet is a mighty fine film, and people watching Charulata fills my heart with joy.  I don't care for Pyaasa one bit, but I may be in the minority there. 

love