Poll

What's your favorite film by Mikio Naruse?

Kimi to wakarete (After Our Separation)
0 (0%)
Yogoto no yume (Each Night I Dream)
0 (0%)
Three Sisters with Maiden Hearts
0 (0%)
Tsuma yo bara no yo ni (Kimiko)
0 (0%)
Hideko, the Bus Conductress
0 (0%)
Uta-andon (The Song Lantern)
0 (0%)
Ginza kesh (Ginza Cosmetics)
0 (0%)
Meshi (Repast)
1 (5.3%)
Okaasan (Mother)
1 (5.3%)
Inazuma (Lightning)
0 (0%)
Ffu (Husband and Wife)
0 (0%)
Ani imto (Older Brother, Younger Sister)
0 (0%)
Yama no oto (The Thunder of the Mountain)
1 (5.3%)
Bangiku (Late Chrysanthemums)
0 (0%)
Ukigumo (Floating Clouds)
0 (0%)
Sh u (Sudden Rain)
0 (0%)
Nagareru (Flowing)
1 (5.3%)
Iwashigumo (Summer Clouds)
0 (0%)
When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
3 (15.8%)
Daughters, Wives and a Mother
0 (0%)
Hourou-ki (A Wanderer's Notebook)
0 (0%)
Midareru (Yearning)
0 (0%)
The Stranger Within a Woman
0 (0%)
Midaregumo (Scattered Clouds)
0 (0%)
other (specify)
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
11 (57.9%)
don't like any
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Naruse, Mikio  (Read 5539 times)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Naruse, Mikio
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Repast (1951)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
I dont know how much attention was given to female characters in Japanese cinema at this time, but it seems novel, while no more progressive than a 1940s Hollywood film starring Joan Crawford. The subject matter is like a melodrama with most of the melodrama removed. I find myself drawn to script while searching for some style in the direction. Ozus non-style was his style, so I dont know how to refer to this.

Im glad this thread talks about the ending because I was reading it the same way as Martin, worm and sdedalus. Something of a fake smile to Michiyos final happiness.

Late Chrysanthemums (1954)
★ ★
The problems of little people dont amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. This kept running through my head as I watched. Why these people? What makes their story an interesting one to tell? There are former Geishas, but its no more exotic than a retired actress or older model. A number of conversations center around the cost of living, and if this was all they talked about it might be an intriguing formal choice. Most things are related to money, but there are other conversations too. This film doesnt amount to a hill of beans.

Floating Clouds (1955)
★ ★
After feeling I've been unsuccessful at appreciating Naruse, I gave the thread a thorough read and this conversation about No Blood Relations made me wonder if I would be more into his early stylish flourishes. I liked how the transitions between time periods here used lighting in a clever way. That the story never grabbed me could be that watching three Naruse films in a week was at least one too many.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Naruse, Mikio
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2019, 03:52:36 PM »
When A Woman Ascends The Stairs , 30˚
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)