0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
5 (27.8%)
don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Wood, Sam  (Read 2348 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
Re: Wood, Sam - Director's Best
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:06:46 PM »
A Night at the Opera (1935)

I get that this should be funny, but watching it, I hardly ever laugh. I get the jokes, the quippy lines, the physical humor. I can see it's supposed to be funny, I just watch it with nary a smile cracking on my face. Okay, I laughed a few times, maybe about 10 the whole film. There are also some musical interludes I thought were decent enough. So not a complete travesty, but further proof that I don't find The Marx Brothers funny.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
Re: Wood, Sam - Director's Best
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 02:59:52 AM »
Goodbye Mr Chips a top 50 film of all time.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Wood, Sam
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
1. Goodbye Mr. Chips
2. A Night at the Opera

3. Command Decision
4. Our Town
5. The Pride of the Yankees
6. Kitty Foyle
7. The Devil and Miss Jones
8. Kings Row
9. The Man in Possession
10. Rendezvous
11. Madame X

12. Ivy
13. Navy Blue and Gold
14. The Unguarded Hour
15. Guest Wife
16. The Girl From Missouri
17. Saratoga Trunk
18. The Stratton Story
19. Hold Your Man
20. Whipsaw
21. For Whom the Bell Tolls
22. Raffles
23. Heartbeat
24. Stamboul Quest
25. A Day at the Races
26. Casanova Brown
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:50:29 PM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »
1. The Pride of the Yankees (3.5)
2. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (3)
3. The Stratton Story (3)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
RE-WATCH MARATHON

The Devil and Miss Jones (1941)

Charles Coburn gets the kids together is my favorite genre of movies.

REASON FOR RE-WATCH: I was mixed on it the first time, but the cast is so lovable I wanted to watch them again and give the film another chance. Why don't I like this more?

Charles Coburn didn't get to make enough films, especially ones where he plays a leading role. Cinema's ideal paternal figure, with a mixture of gruff and sly humor that Edward Arnold would always go for and rarely achieve. I Love Edward Arnold too, but I would be afraid to sit down with the man. Not Coburn. I'd probably sit on his lap without fear. Jean Arthur also stars, another actor who didn't get enough starring roles. Adorable and warm every time. I can take or leave Robert Cummings, but Spring Byington (on the right in the image above) has one of her best roles here, and there's Edmund Gwenn, playing the opposite of his Santa Claus role.

My problem with the film is just past the middle and it's only about 10 minutes long but it's the reason why I wouldn't want to own this. The film forgets to be an enjoyable comedy. There's a scene with some cops that could have easily been played for farce, but instead director Wood makes it kind of dangerous and uncomfortable. Just kills the funny. That's followed by some romance, with characters pouring out their hearts, yet saying nothing we don't already know about their feelings. It's not a bad scene, but so contrary to the tone of everything else it's like the film takes a nap. Thankfully it wakes up, but now I know why I like but will never love The Devil and Miss Jones.
Rating: * * *, a slight upgrade.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 09:26:15 AM »
Rendezvous (1935)
* * * - Okay
I feel like I watched two different films jammed together. In one, William Powell plays a World War I code-breaker out to smash a ring of foreign spies. In the other, Powell is continually distracted from doing his duty by the daffy niece of the Asst. Secretary of War. The first story is very James Bond with Powell doing his Nick Charles routine. The second has Rosalind Russell's dependable comedy skills. So while the two halves never work together, each has its own recommendable qualities.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:52 PM »

Command Decision (1948)
"'Key industrial objectives!' A fine comfort for a lot of new widows back home!"

So many war films find drama in the men on the front lines while the Generals are often mocked for putting lives at risk from high above the battlefield. Here's one that shows the commanders jobs to be just as dramatic and as intense, fighting the crushing moral weight of making decisions that will result in casualties.

Clark Gable plays the Brigadier General in World War II who decides to go for three important targets over three days that will surely result in heavy losses, but failing the objective could turn the war to favor Germany, resulting in more deaths over time. Watching over him is Walter Pidgeon, who doesn't want to second guess but must consider how such a risky operation will look to the government, particularly a visiting congressman (Edward Arnold) and a reporter (Charles Bickford). Brian Donlevy, works under Gable. He mostly watches and tries to find the middle ground between the two superiors. Rounding out the cast are Van Johnson as Gable's resourceful assistant and John Hodiak as a pilot who's also a close friend of Gable, (in case the drama wasn't personal enough.)

That's a hell of a cast, well-suited to what is essentially a filmed play, but like A Few Good Men there's enough outside locations, camera framing and dynamic performances to not feel pinned to the stage. The dialogue is more smart than clever. I'm more partial to clever and this gets off to a slow start while I tried to sort out the main objective. However, it isn't long before the actors start having a fine time, especially Pidgeon, who I've never seen less stoic. I'm used to 1940s Hollywood simplifying the story more, but this is one I can go back to and wrap myself again inside the thick dramatic blanket. A Discovery!
Rating: * * * - Very Good

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 11:11:10 PM »
Command Decision has been on my watchlist for longer than I can remember. Still haven't seen it.

I love the timing of your review, though, since Sam Wood is a great point of comparison of Lloyd Bacon.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 11:25:51 PM »
I have less of a grasp of Sam Wood because he didn't work with a roster of the same actors like Bacon, but he was nominated for 3 Academy Awards.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 05:08:07 AM »
A Day At The Races, 35
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)