0 (0%)
Steve Jobs
1 (1.4%)
T2 Trainspotting
0 (0%)
Yesterday
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: Boyle, Danny  (Read 7826 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Boyle, Danny
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2017, 10:52:10 PM »
Am I the only one who hears Danny Boy in his head everytime he sees Danny Boyle's name?

It is common.

The image was the part where the film goes full video game, in case you're wondering.

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2018, 07:05:40 PM »

T2 Trainspotting (2017)

This movie's existence is a minor miracle, the continuation of a story that needed no furthering, made by the original people who aren't doing it to regain commercial credibility. Danny Boyle attempts to recapture lightning in a bottle, and he mostly succeeds by admitting it's not possible. Everyone is older, more experienced, they're just not the same people. Boyle uses that to create a cool remix of the original film's core elements, one that evokes the first film enough but doesn't ignore all the wisdom and new technology gained in the time off. Visually, this is one of the best looking films that doesn't try to hide its digital look. (This has the texture Michael Mann has been trying for without all his low grade graininess.) Look at the cool way the artificial colors pop in a shot that's only there to establish location.

Have you ever seen a car look like it could just disappear in a ghostly stream of light?

I don't know how to even get into the substance of the film, which is overly-reliant on montages but also dense enough to be good for a dozen discussions. I keep coming back to the way Boyle ties everything to the first film, not just continuing the story but sometimes folding back into reflection of why certain things happened. It's a nostalgia trip that pulls every emotion but nostalgia. They were the best of times and the worst of times and the demons of the past are still demons. Older and wiser doesn't always add up to being a better person.
Rating: ★ ★ ★ - Very Good

I was going to mention as a negative that I don't see myself re-watching this one like I did with Trainspotting, but I've seen this twice this weekend. I might be slightly dazzled by just how well made it is. Danny Boyle's abilities are incredibly strong right now.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2018, 05:58:56 AM »
I couldn't disagree more. That movie made me depressed. It's up there in the list of the Most 2017 Movies.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »
"Masonic Mysteries" (1990)
★ ★ ★ - Very Good
While I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about Danny Boyle, I forget his extensive television work before Shallow Grave. This is an episode of the BBC series Inspector Morse, often cited as the best of the series. It's easy to see why. I love a good Moriarty story, where our hero finally meets his intellectual equal. After stumbling onto a murder scene, all clues point to Morse, but we know it can't be him and follow the hunt for a master criminal jailed by the Detective. While this is a consistently good series, Boyle's talent puts this one on a whole other level, up there with the best of Sherlock. While it's still television and can't compete with his cinematic style, the hyper-edits are present along with some clever suspense scenes, surprises that pop more than any other time in the series and the clever casting of similar-looking people that muddy the suspects. It's worth mentioning that Ian McDiarmid is one of those people, and while his voice is distinct, its tone is shared by the rest of the suspects. Really well done.

Except for one line of dialogue referenced in the Pilot, this episode stands completely on its own if you choose to watch it.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2019, 11:29:11 PM »
Nice deep dive. I'm impressed that it had something to offer. There isn't much 90's television that holds up, is there?

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »
There isn't much 90's television that holds up, is there?
This is a Thread worth of discussion because I could give you lists of Individual TV episodes and TV Movies, like Pirates of Silicon Valley. It may seem like Television isn't as quality as movies, but if you factor in the thousands of terrible films, percentages come out about equal.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
Star Trek was pretty good in the '90s.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2019, 11:11:46 AM »
The West Wing, ER and the Sopranos all started in the 90s.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2019, 02:27:40 AM »
RE: TV shows of the 1990s
Buffy; and Jonathon Creek both still stand up (watched a lot of them again a couple of years ago). I have not revisited Twin Peaks, but I would not be surprised if it stood up. Same for Vicar of Dibley; Midsomer Murders; Pie in the Sky; and Cracker. (I must admit I do enjoy my murder mysteries)

I doubt ones like Drop the Dead Donkey and Spitting Image (1984 to 2014) do, but they were very topical comedies, based a lot on current (even the week of release) affairs.

RE: Masonic Mysteries

I watched this a couple of nights ago and it was a good episode, but my memory of the show has the episode being not any different to usual. Still I should probably watch some other episodes to see where memory and reality diverge. John Thaw was very watchable, he had a nice set of shows covering law and order. His was the "Gov" in The Sweeney (Inspector in the flying squad, a serious crimes division),  then Inspector Morse; then Kavanagh QC (barrister). I really should watch some of the old episodes of The Sweeney again, great TV.