love

Poll

What's your favorite film by Curtis Hanson?

haven't seen any
0 (0%)
don't like any
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)
Losin' It
0 (0%)
The Bedroom Window
0 (0%)
Bad Influence
0 (0%)
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
2 (6.3%)
The River Wild
2 (6.3%)
L.A. Confidential
18 (56.3%)
Wonder Boys
6 (18.8%)
8 Mile
2 (6.3%)
In Her Shoes
1 (3.1%)
Lucky You
0 (0%)
Too Big to Fail
1 (3.1%)
Chasing Mavericks [completed by Michael Apted]
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Hanson, Curtis  (Read 4653 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Hanson, Curtis
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2023, 05:30:12 AM »
I haven’t seen Losin’ It since the 80’s back can still remember the Gang Bang song in my head.  What ever happened to that Tom Cruise guy.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2023, 05:31:05 AM »
Though some pretty good films there, Wonder Boys is in my top 100.. never really check out what else he directed into I just saw this thread
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2023, 12:09:37 PM »
Bad Influence (1990)
★ ★ ★ - Very Good
Been taking a good, hard look at some of my nostalgia favorites to decide if they're films I just remember fondly or if they're truly great. This neo-noir directed by Curtis Hanson and written by David Koepp stars Rob Lowe and James Spader. The dynamic between their characters is so close to Pitt and Norton in Fight Club, I have to think Chuck Palahniuk watched this and had ideas on how to make it better and more unique. For Koepp, this is recognizable as a screenwriter's early work, and for Hanson you can see the greatness of L.A. Confidential in the tone. Still plays amazingly well and not as stuck in the 80s/90s aesthetic as I would expect.

I liked this one as well. Along with Bedroom Window, Hand that Rocks the Cradle, and River Wild, Hanson seems to have a knack for Thrillers. The kind I enjoy in anycase. :)

love