Poll

What's your favorite film by Richard Fleischer?

Bodyguard
0 (0%)
The Clay Pigeon
0 (0%)
Follow Me Quietly
0 (0%)
Trapped
0 (0%)
Armored Car Robbery
1 (4.3%)
The Narrow Margin
3 (13%)
The Happy Time
0 (0%)
20000 Leagues Under the Sea
3 (13%)
Violent Saturday
1 (4.3%)
The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing
0 (0%)
Bandido
0 (0%)
Between Heaven and Hell
0 (0%)
The Vikings
1 (4.3%)
Compulsion
2 (8.7%)
Barabbas
0 (0%)
Fantastic Voyage
2 (8.7%)
Doctor Dolittle
1 (4.3%)
The Boston Strangler
2 (8.7%)
Che!
0 (0%)
Tora! Tora! Tora!
0 (0%)
10 Rillington Place
0 (0%)
The Last Run
0 (0%)
Blind Terror
0 (0%)
The New Centurions
0 (0%)
Soylent Green
3 (13%)
The Don Is Dead
0 (0%)
The Spikes Gang
0 (0%)
Mr. Majestyk
1 (4.3%)
Mandingo
0 (0%)
Crossed Swords
0 (0%)
The Jazz Singer
1 (4.3%)
Tough Enough
0 (0%)
Amityville 3-D
0 (0%)
Conan the Destroyer
0 (0%)
Red Sonja
0 (0%)
Million Dollar Mystery
0 (0%)
other (specify)
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
2 (8.7%)
don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Fleischer, Richard  (Read 4365 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Fleischer, Richard - Director's Best
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
The Last Run

Very smart and nuanced direction at the service of a script that announces its own hackneyed intentions from the very start. The film just seems bored of its own character dynamics, its trajectory, everything. A better film would underplay the Scott/car dynamic, not highlight it with a sudden edit back to the car at film's end. At least we got Clint singing in Gran Torino. What do we get here?

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: Fleischer, Richard - Director's Best
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
The Last Run

Very smart and nuanced direction at the service of a script that announces its own hackneyed intentions from the very start.

I find this with Fleischer a lot. Calling him an "artisan director", which I'm sure isn't an original epithet; that he works with some basic ingredients to make them as great a recipe as he could. Like an artisan bakery; beautiful product from the most basic ingredients.

I'm thinking of the horrible mess a lot of directors would make of the bizarre detective noir sci fi of Soylent Green or the seediness of 10 Rillington Place.

Forgot to add Armored Car Robbery. Bigged up by the master, James Ellroy. Starring rockhard Charles McGraw and nails William Talman.

1. The Boston Strangler
2. The Narrow Margin
3. 10 Rillington Place
4. Soylent Green
5. Armoured Car Robbery
6. Compulsion
7. Mr. Majestyk (Former no.1. Bronson pushes this down)
8. The Vikings
9. Tora! Tora! Tora!
10. Doctor Doolittle
11. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
12. Fantastic Voyage
13. Conan The Barbarian
14. Red Sonja

EDIT: oh yeah Trapped- 1949 is pretty good as well. Lloyd Bridges is badass in it. Can't be fussed to reorder them. South of Compulsion probs.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:57:03 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Fleischer, Richard
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 12:12:35 AM »
1. The Narrow Margin
2. Compulsion
3. Tora! Tora! Tora!
4. Armored Car Robbery
5. Soylent Green
6. Bodyguard
7. The Boston Strangler
8. 10 Rillington Place
9. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
10. The Spikes Gang
11. His Kind of Woman

12. Fantastic Voyage
13. Bandido!
14. Mandingo
15. The Vikings
16. The Clay Pigeon
17. Mr. Majestyk
18. The Last Run
19. Violent Saturday
20. The Don is Dead
21. See No Evil
22. Trapped
23. Conan the Destroyer

24. Red Sonja
25. Follow Me Quietly
26. Amityville III: The Demon
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 07:34:58 PM by 1SO »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2016, 05:10:10 AM »
1. The Boston Strangler
2. The Narrow Margin
3. Mandingo (still don't really know what to make of Mandingo, but if it troubles me still, this long after watching it; without turning to revulsion; I think it's something special.....probably)
4. 10 Rillington Place
5. Soylent Green
6. Armoured Car Robbery
7. Compulsion
8. Violent Saturday
9. Trapped
10. Mr. Majestyk
11. The Vikings
12. Tora! Tora! Tora!
13. The Last Run
14. Doctor Doolittle
15. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
16. Fantastic Voyage
17. Conan The Barbarian
18. Red Sonja

The Last Run, George C Scott is also on iTunes to rent. Says Fleischer replaced John Huston on  it. Whether that's good or bad (it spells damage limitation to me), I'll find out tomorrow morning! ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 07:52:45 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »

Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
"You wanted confirmation, Captain? Take a look!
There's your confirmation!"

Some true stories are better told without the usual dramatic structure. Like United 93 and unlike any John Wayne war movie, the key to this film's success is to stay away from the fiction and stick closer to the facts. I write this not knowing how much was made up, but the point is the script is more interested in all the levels of bureaucracy information goes through, and with so many people having a say in matters it's no wonder important information gets suppressed. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and risk being wrong. This is why when the attack does come, most people are frozen in disbelief until a 2nd bomb falls or another person comes along to pull their friend out of harm's way.

One of the smartest decisions was to give half of the film over to the Japanese. Of course, Hollywood producers have final cut, but it's still miles better than having the Japanese characters directed by people without Japanese perspective. I thought the Japanese section would be 30 minutes tops, much like the Germans in The Longest Day, but they have their own layers of government tape for things to get tangled up in. Dividing the movie ultimately leads to a double ending where we see the Japanese celebrate their success while the Americans are utterly humiliated.
RATING: ★ ★ ★ - Good

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 08:49:55 PM »
What did you think about the attack and action scenes? It did win the Oscar for best special effects.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 09:05:44 PM »
It's impressive for its time, with a few really great shots. I like the Japanese bomber practicing on the ground with a crew slowly pulling a map of Pearl Harbor across his scope, the artistic framing of the Japanese propellers firing up, the images of the planes flying over Hawaii. The last one is something I've seen done before, but the contrast of Hawaii's tropical beauty and these machines of destruction always work. As for the action, the attack on the airfield is a highlight, especially in the cinematically lucky moment when a propeller breaks loose from a plane and goes spinning across the pavement. I also like how the people at the Command outpost could just look out the window and see the attack. They receive a damage report while they watch more ships getting destroyed.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Fantastic Voyage, 75į
Conan The Destroyer, 15į

Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:25 AM »
Updated Ranking

The Clay Pigeon (1949)
★ ★ Ĺ
Quickie Noir with a predictable plot, but occasionally something interesting happens that reminds you this director will one day make The Narrow Margin. For a longer review read MartinTeller who gets it so right itís a shame more people donít use his wisdom as a guide.

Trapped (1949)
★ ★
Iím starting to think the treasury department is my least favorite Noir plot. Thereís usually the educational film docu-padding and the undercover story beats are familiar, like the equally routine beats of a submarine film. Plus, this one stars Lloyd Bridges who has a self-amused, square-jaw phoniness I never get invested in.

Bandido! (1956)
★ ★ Ĺ
A routine western adventure that puts everything on the charisma of Robert Mitchum, and it nearly works because of that. Mitchum doesnít do anything especially cool. He just embodies it while the script puts him into dangerous situations and occasionally hands him some ammunition or a pretty woman who has an agenda because Mitchum merits better than a vapid, pretty face.

The Vikings (1958)
★ ★ Ĺ
Very Similar to Fleischerís work on Conan the Destroyer. What plays silly in the 1980s is kind of acceptable for the 1950s. Itís a movie so macho it could only star Kirk Douglas, though that predictable casting dooms the film to be nothing more than what you expect. Douglas is to Errol Flynn what Gene Kelly is to Fred Astaire, equally masterful but sometimes while watching the impressive athleticism I long for a little more balletic grace.

See No Evil (1971)
★ ★
Recently blinded woman (Mia Farrow) faces off against a killer who murdered everyone else in her house while sheís out with her boyfriend. Not a TV Movie, but except for Farrow is as small and simple as a TV Movie. Has one famous scene for those who have seen it, and itís as great as its reputation. We donít see the murderous rampage, but are with Farrow as she moves around the house. The staging cleverly reveals signs of a struggle and ultimately the bodies that raise the danger and that Farrow remains unaware of for a very long time.

The Don is Dead (1973)
★ ★
Put this on the list for Anthony Quinn, but there's an initial excitement when the first two faces I see are Frederic Forrest and Robert Forster. The 70s excitement continues with character actors like Abe Vigoda, Al Lettieri and Sid Haig. Not a Godfather knock off, but it definitely was looking to ride that wave. All this talent let down by an uninspired script that gives a feud between rival gangster families all the excitement of a business merger. Fleischer can direct it, but you can't help comparing the violence to such scenes handled by Coppola and there's no style here.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2020, 10:01:54 AM »
Douglas is to Errol Flynn what Gene Kelly is to Fred Astaire, equally masterful but sometimes while watching the impressive athleticism I long for a little more balletic grace.

Nice line, aptly describes the two.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)