love

Author Topic: FS #324: Girl Who Kicked... / Top 5 Trilogies  (Read 8079 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: FS #324: Girl Who Kicked... / Top 5 Trilogies
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
that's it, adam and matty.  you've now promised us a kieslowski marathon, and we're holding you to it.   
It's already on the site!
Yay!!! Sooooo happy you guys are gonna be doing this.

Good selection, that's exactly what I would have picked.  You could swap out Blind Chance for Camera Buff, but I think you get more of a variety with CB.  And doing the two "Short Films" is a reasonable substitute for tackling the entire Decalogue.  I hope this isn't the order, though:

Camera Buff
A Short Film About Killing / Short Film About Love
The Double Life of Veronique
Red
Blue
White

Gotta watch the Three Colors in sequence.  Blue -> White -> Red.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Spot on reviews of TGHKTHN - all falling action.  Plot certainly wasn't the trilogy's strong suit, but Noomi Rapace's performance pretty much single-handedly made the sequels must-see for me.  She'll definitely be at or near the top of my list at the end of the year.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
Despite the two's underwhelming response to TGWKTHN, I am still excited to finish off the story.

If you liked the first two you'll like this one.

Also OMG spoilers Kieslowski marathon?
*runs off to listen to episode*

vandsss

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 01:02:19 AM »
that's it, adam and matty.  you've now promised us a kieslowski marathon, and we're holding you to it.   

yippeeeee!  i can't express how much i love these films.  it will be such a treat to watch these again, along with your marathon.  thanks guys!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »

I'm really glad you're doing Kieslowski next.  It was the Filmspotting forum that introduced me to Kieslowski and he has become my second favorite director of all time.

Let me tell you, guys, why the Colors Trilogy will end up being your number one trilogy of all time.

First of all, the cinematography is stunning.  If you think that every shot of the Alienation Trilogy could be studied, wait until you see Blue.  For just plain beauty, I wish I could be showing this film on the wall of my room at all times.

Secondly, they are the perfect balance between plot and mood.  Blue is more of a mood film, while White is more of a plot film, but together they make a perfect balance between Wong Kar-Wai and Kieslowski's earlier television ethical drama The Decalogue.

There are many more reasons why this will be your favorite trilogy, but let me give you just one more.  There is a perfect economy of character and narrative.  Never do the characters speak when they could show, and the stories unfold with perfect intensity.

I know that I could be building your expectations too high, but frankly, these films can meet and exceed any hype that you might have heard coming to them. 

Enjoy.  And I expect a full re-write of your top 5 trilogies after you see these three classic films.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
The music is probably my favorite aspect of Kieslowski, having seen 3 of his films now.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »
The music is probably my favorite aspect of Kieslowski, having seen 3 of his films now.

The music is amazing.   Zbigniew Preisner is the composer for Blue, Double Life and the two Short Films.  He is stunning, because you think Kieslowski has chosen some classical masterpiece for his soundtrack, but they are actually Preisner's.  Amazing work.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
I love the recurring fictional composer "Budenmeyer" that runs through Kieslowski's films.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

The music is amazing.   Zbigniew Preisner is the composer for Blue, Double Life and the two Short Films. 

And for the entire Decalogue, White and Red, and No End unless you were just pointing out your favorite ones.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

JadeInTheATL

• Indy boy lost in the ATL
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
I, too, love me some Kieslowski.  Blue tends to be my favorite of the trilogy.  I often recommend it to people who avoid foreign film because of sub-titles as it is so visual and aural.  Considering the proximity of the trilogy to his death, he knew it was to be his legacy and poured himself into it.

As a fitting coda, I recommend Tykwer's Heaven.  The first film in a planned trilogy written by Kieslowski and Piesiewicz.  I thought Tykwer evoked Kieslowski in his direction.  Well, except for the helicopter shots...

love