Author Topic: FS #324: Girl Who Kicked... / Top 5 Trilogies  (Read 8080 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: FS #324: Girl Who Kicked... / Top 5 Trilogies
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
As a fitting coda, I recommend Tykwer's Heaven.  The first film in a planned trilogy written by Kieslowski and Piesiewicz.  I thought Tykwer evoked Kieslowski in his direction. 

I thought so too.  Tykwer already has a similar sensibility, but he really nailed the spirit of Kieslowski.  Has anyone seen Tanovic's L'Enfer or Mucha's Nadzieja?  I keep meaning to check them out, but never got around to them.

Andrew_James

• Row Three
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 02:43:44 PM »
I was a little surprised to see no mention of Iñárritu's Death Trilogy.
Not in top 5 I get, but no honorable mention?

Andrew_James

• Row Three
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
Also, Minnetrista?  Made up?  Surely you jest Minnesota Matty.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
Inarritu is 3/3 on making me hate his films. :-\

They did do a joint list and I'm pretty sure at least one of them really hated Babel.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
Funny... Babel and Inarritu come up on this week's show. With Matty still being wrong. I've never heard of the Death Trilogy. But yes, Babel would crush that.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
Funny... Babel and Inarritu come up on this week's show. With Matty still being wrong. I've never heard of the Death Trilogy. But yes, Babel would crush that.

Which one of you hated Babel, because I agree with that person. It's a film that lives and breathes human misery.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 11:39:57 PM »

Which one of you hated Babel, because I agree with that person. It's a film that lives and breathes human misery.
The one who said Babel would crush that. All his films live and breathe human misery... it was cool in Amores Perros somehow... 21 Grams and Babel are films that absolutely wallow in that misery and try to pass it off as profound.

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:11 PM »

The one who said Babel would crush that. All his films live and breathe human misery... it was cool in Amores Perros somehow... 21 Grams and Babel are films that absolutely wallow in that misery and try to pass it off as profound.

I thought it was you. I remembered that the Babel discussion happened back in the Sam days, so it makes sense. And yes. Your analysis is spot on. This is why you are da bomb, Adam.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »

Completely agree Adam, and having seen Biutiful it is not a step in the right direction.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »

Completely agree Adam, and having seen Biutiful it is not a step in the right direction.
Oh my god, just imdb'd it... Bardem could star in that movie with Naomi Watts, Marie Josee Croze, Kurt Russell and Dennis Quaid I wouldn't see it.

love