Poll

Poll Is Now Defunct

Not
0 (0%)
Applicable
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 15, 2010, 10:55:43 PM

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 61695 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:59:58 AM »
Ooh, I'd hate to narrow my list down to 30.  What's wrong with 100?

small enough that the most widely seen docs don't just crowd out everything else by being (low) on everyone's list.

You seem to have a particularly deep appreciation of documentary, which is great. For me to make a list of 100 I'd have to put a large portion of the documentaries I've seen, getting into some I didn't love. I don't think I'd be alone in this. While obviously not everyone is going to love all the things on the final list, I'd like them to at least love the things on their own list or else I think it undercuts the point of the list to some degree. I think it makes sense to submit 100 film ballots for the Top 100 Films but Documentaries, like Animation (where I was getting into the "mildly enjoy" films by #40, and I'm someone who has seen a ton of animated films), probably won't support that big of a list while keeping the same spirit.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 10:30:14 AM »
Seriously I don't think I've even seen 100 docs.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
You seem to have a particularly deep appreciation of documentary, which is great. For me to make a list of 100 I'd have to put a large portion of the documentaries I've seen, getting into some I didn't love. I don't think I'd be alone in this. While obviously not everyone is going to love all the things on the final list, I'd like them to at least love the things on their own list or else I think it undercuts the point of the list to some degree. I think it makes sense to submit 100 film ballots for the Top 100 Films but Documentaries, like Animation (where I was getting into the "mildly enjoy" films by #40, and I'm someone who has seen a ton of animated films), probably won't support that big of a list while keeping the same spirit.

Fair enough.  Here's the final list then (unless I change it, then that will be the final list) (unless I change it again)

1. American Movie
2. F for Fake
3. Hoop Dreams
4. The Man With a Movie Camera
5. The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
6. La Soufriere
7. Night and Fog
8. Grizzly Man
9. Capturing the Friedmans
10. The Mystery of Picasso
11. The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes
12. For All Mankind
13. Burma VJ
14. Let's Get Lost
15. Shoah
16. No Direction Home
17. Dark Days
18. A Time for Burning
19. Murder on a Sunday Morning
20. Antonio Gaudi
21. Baraka
22. Touching the Void
23. Encounters at the End of the World
24. Olympia
25. Grey Gardens
26. Murderball
27. Powers of Ten
28. The Goebbels Experiment
29. Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One
30. Toute la memoire du monde

and a bunch more that I like:

Mr. Death | Lost in La Mancha | An Inconvenient Truth | Sound and Fury | Super Size Me | Lynch (One) | Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures | Hearts of Darkness | Bowling for Columbine | The House is Black | The White Diamond | Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession | Imagine: John Lennon | Inside Rooms: 26 Bathrooms, London & Oxfordshire, 1985 | The Love Life of the Octopus | Crumb | The Comedians of Comedy | The Private Life of a Cat | Nanking | My Kid Could Paint That | Paradise Lost | Joy Division | Stranded: I Have Come from a Plane that Crashed on the Mountains | Ballad of a Little Soldier | The Devil and Daniel Johnston | Du côté de la côte | Stevie | Harlan County, USA | Lessons of Darkness | The King of Kong | Listen to Britain | Man on Wire | Salesman | Regret to Inform | Mad Hot Ballroom | Wordplay | Kinoglaz | Tokyo Olympiad | Bells from the Deep | Scratch | The Last Days | Wodaabe: Herdsmen of the Sun | Bergman Island | Cinemania | The Sorrow and the Pity | The Bridge | Berlin: Symphony of a Great City | Prisoner of Paradise | Style Wars | Good Hair | Fahrenheit 9/11 | Don't Look Back | The Decline of Western Civilization | Comedian | Burden of Dreams | Forgiving Dr. Mengele | Dear Zachary | Jesus Camp | S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine | Trekkies | Koko, a Talking Gorilla | The Liberation of Auschwitz | Hearts and Minds | La Hora de los Hornos | Echoes from a Somber Empire | Hell House | Titicut Follies | Twist of Faith | Slasher | Her Name Is Sabine | Nanook of the North | The Inner Eye | General Idi Amin Dada | Gimme Shelter | Religulous | Blood of the Beasts | Brother's Keeper | The Cove | The Making of Fanny & Alexander | The Gleaners & I | Into the Arms of Strangers | March of the Penguins | Spellbound | Sugihara: Conspiracy of Kindness | House: After Five Years of Living | Ikebana | Land of Silence and Darkness | Man of Aran | Louisiana Story | The Most Dangerous Man in America | Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey | The Times of Harvey Milk
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:06:57 PM by MartinTeller »

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 11:51:57 AM »
One for resource for the first post: the Top 5 Docs thread.

I think it'd be great for people who've seen 100 list-worthy docs to be able to nominate them ... but the tendency for others to pad their lists with middling films is pretty strong, I think. It's a really tough balance.

One way to think of it though: Eventually, we're going to have to rate all these films on a scale of 1-10. So the rules could say something like, "Please don't nominate anything that you'd rate below a 7." Or something.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 12:17:19 PM »
Ok, in consultation with my co-conspiritor on this project (pix) I've decided to allow ballots to be up to 100 films but the point system heavily emphasizes the top 30. Hopefully this is a happy medium. No one should feel the need to submit more films than they strongly support.

Anyway, the point system will look something like this: 15 points for ranking 1-5, 10 for 6-10, 8 for 11-15, 7 for 16-20, 6 for 21-25, 5 for 26-30, 2 for 31-50, and 1 for 51-100).

Martin, I do want to apologize to you since you switched his list around a bit based on the discussion for any extra hassle involved in that, but in these early days of the process I'm trying to mold the system to best account for the various concerns so it is a bit fluid.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
Another list? I can't keep track of these things anymore.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
Martin, I do want to apologize to you since you switched his list around a bit based on the discussion for any extra hassle involved in that, but in these early days of the process I'm trying to mold the system to best account for the various concerns so it is a bit fluid.

It's okay, there were already roughly in order, and below #30 it's not enough points difference to matter that much.  Here we go again:

1. American Movie
2. F for Fake
3. Hoop Dreams
4. The Man With a Movie Camera
5. The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
6. La Soufriere
7. Night and Fog
8. Grizzly Man
9. Capturing the Friedmans
10. The Mystery of Picasso
11. The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes
12. For All Mankind
13. Burma VJ
14. Let's Get Lost
15. Shoah
16. No Direction Home
17. Dark Days
18. A Time for Burning
19. Murder on a Sunday Morning
20. Antonio Gaudi
21. Baraka
22. Touching the Void
23. Encounters at the End of the World
24. Olympia
25. Grey Gardens
26. Murderball
27. Powers of Ten
28. The Goebbels Experiment
29. Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One
30. Toute la memoire du monde
31. Mr. Death
32. Lost in La Mancha
33. An Inconvenient Truth
34. Sound and Fury
35. Super Size Me
36. Lynch (One)
37. Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures
38. Hearts of Darkness
39. Bowling for Columbine
40. The House is Black
41. The White Diamond
42. Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession
43. Imagine: John Lennon
44. Inside Rooms: 26 Bathrooms, London & Oxfordshire, 1985
45. The Love Life of the Octopus
46. Crumb
47. The Comedians of Comedy
48. The Private Life of a Cat
49. Nanking
50. My Kid Could Paint That
51. Paradise Lost
52. Joy Division
53. Stranded: I Have Come from a Plane that Crashed on the Mountains
54. Ballad of a Little Soldier
55. The Devil and Daniel Johnston
56. Du côté de la côte
57. Stevie
58. Harlan County, USA
59. Lessons of Darkness
60. The King of Kong
61. Listen to Britain
62. Man on Wire
63. Salesman
64. Regret to Inform
65. Mad Hot Ballroom
66. Wordplay
67. Kinoglaz
68. Tokyo Olympiad
69. Bells from the Deep
70. Scratch
71. The Last Days
72. Wodaabe: Herdsmen of the Sun
73. Bergman Island
74. Cinemania
75. The Sorrow and the Pity
76. The Bridge
77. Berlin: Symphony of a Great City
78. Prisoner of Paradise
79. Style Wars
80. Good Hair
81. Fahrenheit 9/11
82. Don't Look Back
83. The Decline of Western Civilization
84. Comedian
85. Burden of Dreams
86. Forgiving Dr. Mengele
87. Dear Zachary
88. Jesus Camp
89. S21: The Khmer Rouge Killing Machine
90. Trekkies
91. Koko, a Talking Gorilla
92. The Liberation of Auschwitz
93. Hearts and Minds
94. La Hora de los Hornos
95. Echoes from a Somber Empire
96. Hell House
97. Titicut Follies
98. Twist of Faith
99. Slasher
100. Her Name Is Sabine

Also noteworthy: Nanook of the North | The Inner Eye | General Idi Amin Dada | Gimme Shelter | Religulous | Blood of the Beasts | Brother's Keeper | The Cove | The Making of Fanny & Alexander | The Gleaners & I | Into the Arms of Strangers | March of the Penguins | Spellbound | Sugihara: Conspiracy of Kindness | House: After Five Years of Living | Ikebana | Land of Silence and Darkness | Man of Aran | Louisiana Story | The Most Dangerous Man in America | Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey | The Times of Harvey Milk

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:58:35 PM »
Martin, I do want to apologize to you since you switched his list around a bit based on the discussion for any extra hassle involved in that...

Don't apologize. He's a list-making fiend. You're just feeding his habit.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
Top 100 People Who Mock Me On Filmspotters And Will Get Their Comeuppance In Due Time:

1. pixote

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:57 PM »
So, I finally get a directors and performances list done, and then this comes up! Meh. I can't be bothered.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.