Poll

Poll Is Now Defunct

Not
0 (0%)
Applicable
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 15, 2010, 10:55:43 PM

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 61703 times)

Jared

• Elite Member
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: Shortlist
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
Have you seen the Beales of Grey Gardens? If you like the first one, the sequel is pretty good too.

Yeah, I liked it, but not quite enough to include here. Same with Paradise Lost 2: Revelations. Maybe I'm just anti-sequels. :)

pixote

this is kind of up to you guys, but if we are including the Up movies as a set, we might consider doing the same for the Grey Gardens.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
Have you seen the Beales of Grey Gardens? If you like the first one, the sequel is pretty good too.

Yeah, I liked it, but not quite enough to include here. Same with Paradise Lost 2: Revelations. Maybe I'm just anti-sequels. :)

this is kind of up to you guys, but if we are including the Up movies as a set, we might consider doing the same for the Grey Gardens.

As I was putting together my list, I started thinking, you know, Primary and Crisis could almost be considered part of the same series. Same with all of Michael Moore's films. And The War Room and A Perfect Candidate. And The Hamster Factor and Lost in La Mancha. And Grass and Chang. And all of Flaherty's films.

But, personally, I think the fewer "series" the better. I'd even rather have the individual films of Eyes on the Prize listed separately, because they're are a couple of real standouts (and the original 1986 series is much better, as a whole, than the 1990 series). But that's just me.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2011, 11:55:01 AM »
agree on the fewer series thing.

Grey Gardens could basically be a 3 hour movie instead of two 90 minute parts though. They are essentialy that similar.

Moore, for example, touches on a lot of the same things (the decline of Flint, 9/11, etc) but his movies are all certainley very seperate entities.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »
I need to see more docs.

Hastily put together list:

1. Grizzly Man
2. Harlan County, U.S.A.
3. The Thin Blue Line
4. The Up series
5. Beaches of Agnes
6. Little Dieter Needs to Fly
7. Operation Filmmaker
8. King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
9. Capturing the Friedmans
10. Vernon, Florida
11. Burden of Dreams
12. The Gleaners and I
13. My Best Fiend: Klaus Kinski
14. Exit Through the Gift Shop
15. Touching the Void
16. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker’s Apocalypse
17. Roger and Me
18. Anvil: Story of Anvil
19. Stranded: I Have Come from a Plane That Crashed in the Mountains
20. American Movie
21. Trekkies
22. Spellbound
23. Winged Migration
24. Man on Wire
25. Mugabe and the White African
26. Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control
27. Best Worst Movie

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
Inexcusably left out Vernon, Flordia on my list. It should be at #21

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
agree on the fewer series thing.

Grey Gardens could basically be a 3 hour movie instead of two 90 minute parts though. They are essentialy that similar.

The other issue is that combining films into series could hurt those films' placement on the final list (or cost them a spot all together). When it comes time to rate these shortlist titles on a 1-10 scale, I'll give Grey Gardens a 9 and The Beales a 7. But if I had to give a single score to the two films combined, it'd be an 8, max. I think the original 90-minute movie is a much stronger film than the combined 3 hours from the two films. Likewise, there are films within the Eyes on the Prize and Up series that I'd score a 10; but I give each of those series as a whole just a 9.

Inexcusably left out Vernon, Flordia on my list. It should be at #21

Send me a PM to remind me, okay?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2011, 01:03:35 PM »
As I was putting together my list, I started thinking, you know, Primary and Crisis could almost be considered part of the same series. Same with all of Michael Moore's films. And The War Room and A Perfect Candidate. And The Hamster Factor and Lost in La Mancha. And Grass and Chang. And all of Flaherty's films.
This seems like a stretch.

The other issue is that combining films into series could hurt those films' placement on the final list (or cost them a spot all together).
The opposite seems more likely to me. Considering the entire Up Series as a single title avoids vote splitting. Or am I confused about how the phase two fancy math works?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
This seems like a stretch.

Oh yeah, definitely. I was more just saying, I was surprised how interconnected the titles on my list seemed to be, in terms of the same group of filmmakers often appearing over and over again and also the same subject matter (homelessless, political campaigning, soldiers, concerts, genocide).

The other issue is that combining films into series could hurt those films' placement on the final list (or cost them a spot all together).
The opposite seems more likely to me. Considering the entire Up Series as a single title avoids vote splitting. Or am I confused about how the phase two fancy math works?

In phase two, everyone's going to rate all the shortlisted films that they've seen (and remember) on a scale of 1-10. The films will then be ranked by average score (which will by weighted by the number of votes). So vote-splitting shouldn't really be an issue. I mean, I can't imagine half of us thinka 35 Up is mediocre while 42 Up is sublime, while the other half thinks the opposite.

The main advantage of considering the films a single entity is that it prevents the individual films in the series from hogging seven different spots on our final Top 100. I don't think films with just two parts (Grey Gardens, The Beaches of Agnes, Paradise Lost, etc.) need that same consideration.

pixote
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:15:33 PM by pixote »

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
now, if you haven't seen the whole Up series, say just the part about the SQUIRREL - does that count as seen or unseen?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
now, if you haven't seen the whole Up series, say just the part about the SQUIRREL - does that count as seen or unseen?

Huh, yeah, gets tricky there.

Then again, since the series is ongoing, I guess nobody's seen it all. Loophole!

pixote