Poll

Poll Is Now Defunct

Not
0 (0%)
Applicable
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 15, 2010, 10:55:43 PM

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: FYC and Your Lists  (Read 61693 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Documentaries: Shortlist
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »
I look forward to the results!

ProperCharlie

• Am I right sir? Ithangyou.
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the hard work Bondo.  Looking forward to the results.   :)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »
There's still a little more time to vote. Get your lists in by the end of the day on Friday. Help us break some of these ties and help make sure the list is as accurate a representation of our collective tastes as possible.

Vote here!

And, heck, if you're too lazy to enter your votes on the form, I'll happily do it for you. Just take the list below, delete the films you haven't seen, and then group the rest into the ones you'd rate a 10, the ones you'd rate a 9, etc.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2011, 04:50:58 AM »
Ok, I'm officially done accepting ratings. We got 24 people to rate films. Because of ties (which are fairly common given the way the scoring is produced) there are 101 films on the list. Proof that the list is an authentic depiction of the forum's views and that I did not tamper with the results is that I'm not very pleased with the results. You people are a bunch of hipsters. :P

One film was seen by everyone. Three films from the shortlist was seen by no one who participated in phase 2 (so it goes without saying they aren't on the final list). Of the top-100, one film (barely) made it with just 2 (perfect) votes, so I think the weighted average system worked pretty well at balancing popularity and visibility.

I'm gonna start working on the list presentation this weekend and hope for an chat announcement toward the end of the month. Thanks to everyone who participated in either or both phases. Once the whole thing is done we'll be looking into feedback on how you like this system of list making.

Okay, now we're really, really done accepting ratings. 37 people participated in this final round of voting (up from the 33 that submitted ballots for the shortlist). The resulting list of Top 100 docs is definitely pretty interesting and mostly pretty cool. There are, of course, some glaring oversights, from a canon perspective, but that was true even at the shortlist stage (Marcel Ophuls says hi).

The way the math worked out, it took ratings from at least four people for a film to make the Top 100. One film with just three votes finished at #102, and, having been the third vote for that film, I regret not having ranked it a 9 instead of an 8.

A couple films were rated by 34 out of 37 voters; a couple films weren't rated by anyone. Getting a lot of votes didn't assure a film a spot in the Top 100. One film with 25 votes finished in the 125th spot on the final list. It would have been in the Top 50, had we relied just on the shortlist voting, so its drop is sort of a testament to the value of this two-stage process, I think.

Results soon! (Just as soon as Bondo and I figure out the niftiest way to present them.)

pixote
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:52:47 AM by pixote »
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09:36 AM »
Results soon! (Just as soon as Bondo and I figure out the niftiest way to present them.)

Interpretive dance!

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #285 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »
Exciting!

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #286 on: April 23, 2011, 09:11:56 AM »
Hoorah for the two-stage system! Hoorah for more lists for me to look at and feel guilty about! Hoorah for Jell-O!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »

Interpretive dance!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Puppets!

Kabuki!

Zen video!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Just a heads up, pix and I are aiming for the list reveal/chat split over Monday and Tuesday evenings. It is going to be epic or something. Official announcement to follow.