Poll

What's your favorite film by Maurice Pialat?

L'enfance nue (Naked Childhood)
2 (10.5%)
Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble (We Won't Grow Old Together)
2 (10.5%)
La gueule ouverte (The Mouth Agape)
0 (0%)
Passe ton bac d'abord (Graduate First)
0 (0%)
Loulou
1 (5.3%)
À nos amours
2 (10.5%)
Police
0 (0%)
Sous le soleil de Satan (Under the Sun of Satan)
1 (5.3%)
Van Gogh
1 (5.3%)
Le garçu
0 (0%)
other (specify)
1 (5.3%)
haven't seen any
9 (47.4%)
don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Pialat, Maurice  (Read 4807 times)

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
Re: Director's Best: Maurice Pialat
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:52 AM »
The release of Kino's DVD of We Won't Grow Old Together is next Tuesday, August 12th.

Don't know what Kino's further plans are, but last year, Gaumont released this and five other Pialats on Blu-ray. Region free and with English subs.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Director's Best: Maurice Pialat
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
1. We Won't Grow Old Together (1972)
2. The Mouth Agape (1974)
3. Van Gogh (1991)
4. A Nos Amours (1983)
5. Police (1985)
6. Loulou (1980)
7. Graduate First (1978)
8. Naked Childhood (1968)
9. Le Garcu (1995)
10. Under the Sun of Satan (1987)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Pialat, Maurice
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
1. We Won't Grow Old Together
2. À nos amours
3. The Mouth Agape

4. Van Gogh
5. Loulou
6. L'enfance nue
7. Police

8. Under the Sun of Satan

L'enfance nue is 400 Blows stripped of all magic. You can say it's different because the kid here is more of a sociopath - and I have trouble working any sympathy for a character that kills a cat - but it's the unfussy filmmaking that only reminds me why cinematic enhancement is such a joy.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:31:10 PM by 1SO »
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »
L'amour existe, 70°

He's been a hero ever since I learnt about how he reacted to the booing when he was awarded La Palme d'or in 1987.

Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:09 PM »
Updated Rankings and I changed my vote. This gave me an appreciation of Pialat I didn't have before.

We Won’t Grow Old Together (1972)
★ ★ ★ – Good
Why do relationships gone sour take so long to end? Pialat explores this incredibly painful time with fascinating accuracy. The man (Jean Yanne) has turned angry and apologetic, an abusive control-freak one moment and a sad puppy the next. The woman (Marlène Jobert) finds his behavior less forgivable, but slowly over time. She’s at the stage where she can say she doesn’t love him, but can’t walk completely away because there were some good times once. A large chunk of the film focuses on the couple’s interactions, cutting out the moments of outside advice between encounters, which makes their scenes more intense. Really skillfully handled, though upsetting to watch in places for obvious reasons. (So glad I’m married.)

The Mouth Agape (1974)
★ ★ ★ – Okay
Unflinching look at a person slowly dying while those around her care as much as they are able to. Husband, son and daughter-in-law continue their own flawed existence while the inevitable draws closer every day. Reminded me of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days where every banal event is intensified much like a fight scene in slow motion because of what’s at the center of everyone’s mind. It creates its own sense of being out of time and place, while death is always there to point out a person’s insignificance. A mundane conversation about flowers is crushing under these circumstances. (My mixed rating is because much as I can admire this technique, it’s so dramatically inert it only works for me intellectually.)

Loulou (1980)
★ ★ ½
The acting by Isabelle Huppert and Gèrard Depardieu is outstanding, able to get me to believe any and all irrational behavior and decisions, but the story has too many “movie” elements to resonate for me like the previous two. Outside dramatic forces are more extreme and suddenly life-changing. It’s as if Pialat is covering too long of a period of time and has to skip over details to present the highlights.

Under the Sun of Satan (1987)
★ ★
There’s something Bergman to this. Not because it’s about a priest who is looking for proof of God while encountering Satan (literally at one point) and all his works, but because the script is sparse with characters talking for long periods of time at whomever is around. While Bergman’s dialogue is full of ideas that keep you engaged, here it’s a lot of emotion. Conveyed in elevated poetry, the characters never involve, so unlike Bergman I don’t feel the questions are being put back on me.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad