Poll

What's your favorite film by Doug Liman?

don't like any
0 (0%)
Swingers
12 (35.3%)
Go
2 (5.9%)
The Bourne Identity
14 (41.2%)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
2 (5.9%)
Jumper
0 (0%)
Fair Game
0 (0%)
Edge of Tomorrow
4 (11.8%)
American Made
0 (0%)
The Wall
0 (0%)
Locked Down
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Liman, Doug  (Read 4875 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Liman, Doug - Director's Best
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
1. Swingers (1996)
2. Go (1999)

The Bourne Identity (2002)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)
Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:10:21 PM by roujin »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Liman, Doug - Director's Best
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:02 AM »
Edge of Tomorrow
The Bourne Identity
Mr and Mrs Smith
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Liman, Doug
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2016, 08:52:30 PM »
1. The Bourne Identity (3.5)
2. Mr. & Mrs. Smith (3)
3. Fair Game (3)
4. Edge of Tomorrow (2.5)
5. Swingers (2.5)
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

"Guess in the end you start thinking about the beginning."

This film seems harsher in hindsight now that the couple has broken up, especially when you consider that this film was mostly the reason they got together in the first place. The above quote became particularly poetic by coincidence, as I now wonder if they thought back to this beginning chapter of their relationship.

The film parodies the various stereotypes attributed to gender roles in spy movies to great effect. Jane (Angelina Jolie) is the more professional and precise killer, relying on long-term planning and high-tech gadgets, kinda like Jason Bourne (minus the technology). John (Brad Pitt) is more old-school and rugged, relying on instincts and accomplishing the mission, kinda like James Bond. Even their ways of identity cover-ups match the gender stereotypes. This fun build-up of contrast in their styles of execution pays off quite nicely when their methods clash together later on as they are running from both of their spy agencies. Seeing that there are numerous references to other spy movies, I kinda wish the organization they worked for was explored a little more so that we could further see the contrast in these two different types of movie spies; would have been the closest crossover we'd ever get between MI6 and IMF (and between Bond and Bourne).

The strongest suit of the movie is of course the banter between Brangelina. In fact, the entire film hinges on it to keep it alive and afloat, especially in the duller third act. It even works as an amusing and light-hearted take on honesty in marriage. As per fashion of an unhealthy marriage, things become stale for the couple till the point where they forgot the last time they had sex. After finding out each other's dirty little secrets, they get angry and fight, but eventually they remember why they loved each other in the first place, honesty sets in, and they engage in wild passionate intercourse. "Sometimes you have to battle through," remarked the counselor. "That's marriage, right?" added Jane. It might not be the most accurate portrayal of a marriage, but such an over-the-top allegory is certainly an amusing one.

Although I had a good time for the most parts, this was not an ideal piece of entertainment. Like I said, the film hinges on those two's banter, and scenes without exploration of their marriage can get expository. The similarity I noticed about this film and Liman's more recent film, Edge of Tomorrow is that they both have a very weak resolution. It's like, once Liman resolved the conflict, he wasn't sure where to go from there and focused more on putting on wrapping things up. That's not how a "resolution" third act works. A resolution should build upon a story by acting as a reflection of the events that have occurred. Its goal shouldn't be rushing the story to its ending (with exposition no less).

That being said, I have to give credit to the back-to-back shootout at the final moments of the film. That was one of the most badass shoot-outs I've seen. After spending the entire film bickering with each other, the two spies finally become one in a beautiful synchronicity.

https://youtu.be/8CCv2lJIroI?t=1m37s

★★★½
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:38:08 PM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
The Bourne Identity
Swingers
Edge of Tomorrow
Go

Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Jumper

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 07:53:07 AM »
The Bourne Identity
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Swingers
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2020, 01:17:05 AM »
American Made (2017)
★ ★ ½
The film keeps reminding you that this what you're seeing is all wild and crazy, but it barely had my attention a lot of the time. Liman can't whip events up into a proper frenzy, but he can zip through the timeline and use a lot of montage to make you think you're watching something that's riding the edge. (The only W&C moment is when Cruise has to take off his overloaded plane on a very short runway.) It's more interesting if you imagine this as what happened to Maverick's life years after Top Gun. The very brief appearance by Jesse Plemons suggests Liman is still into shaping his films during production.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 04:02:29 PM »
The Bourne Identity, 40°
Swingers, 30°
Edge Of Tomorrow, 25°

Mr. & Mrs. Smith, 15°
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2022, 08:10:39 PM »
Still haven't seen Swingers.

Positive on The Bourne Identity, American Made, and Edge of Tomorrow. None are anything close to all-timers, but still, very enjoyable.

Mixed to negative on Go.

Has several movies I would never watch, including Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Jumper, and The Wall.

This guy had a film nominated for the Palme d'Or (Fair Game)? I didn't expect to see that on his Wikipedia page.

Interesting career...
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love