Author Topic: #133: Marie Antoinette / Times of Harvey Milk / Scary Moments  (Read 13548 times)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
#133 Marie Antoinette / Times of Harvey Milk / Scary Moments
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »
It's to get poor wowser hooked on heroine.

We've left him to shoot up in an alley, using a stolen purse strap to wrap his arm.  :cry:

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2006, 08:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "filmspotting"
Toughen up, for crying out loud. You're missing the best film of the year. Fortunately, I think you are in the minority. Many more people will probably be prompted to see it because of our heated discussion. At least I hope that's the way it is.

It's next on my list to see - and your "discussion" will be still echoing in my impressionable ears while I am still high from cinecrack...

Oh I broke into my parents house and stole their TV and hocked it - just so's I can gets my cinecrack... :shock:
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam

• http://www.filmspotting.net
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »
Sam, you're reading all of this, right? If we ever have to ask ourselves why we do the show...

WHEN WILL I GET THE LAST WORD!?!?!?!

Never.

Never ever.

I'm moving to California with Alex.

- Van Sam
-
Hear new movie reviews and insightful film talk on Filmspotting with Adam Kempenaar and Sam Van Hallgren

Subscribe to Filmspotting: http://feeds.feedburner.com/cinecast

crumpet

• slithographer
    • CrumpArt
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 04:31:56 AM »
Alex, I think I love you.

Now, right on to my scariest moments in film:

1. The Sixth Sense -- pretty much most of the film had me wanting to look away while wanting to look while being terrified and extremely curious at the same time.  I think I jumped out of my seat the most (and still do) when that boy ghost turns around and he's missing half his head.

2. Alien -- I was terrified of watching this film for so long -- I ended up watching it about three years ago, so I would have been 24.  I didn't really even know anything about it, I'd just heard it was scary, and built it way up in my head.  This is now one of my favourite films ever.

3. Robocop -- this borders on the gruesome edge of scariness, but the scene where Alex Murphy is killed by the gang just about did me in.  It absolutely terrifies me to comprehend that people could be that evil, and when it comes down to it, I know that they can.  That's what scared me the most -- not necessarily that scene, but what I was forced to confront in my own mind.  I wanted to stop watching the film right then.  They went so far with that scene that I didn't think they could redeem themselves, but I stuck with it and watched the rest, and it's now up in my favourite film list too.  If they hadn't gone so far with that scene, the rest of the film wouldn't have had the effect that it did.  (Also, this was another film I didn't see until recently -- I think I watched it at the start of the year.)

4. The Boys -- an Australian film starring David Wenham and Toni Collette, scary for the same human psyche/confrontational reasons as Robocop, except this isn't a futuristic fiction about a robot, but based on a true story of a violent psychopath who's just been released from prison.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »
Sam, you clearly don't have issue with the movie, but with the book because it's main protagonist clearly is the Nicholas Garrigan character, the whole book is seen from his perspective... Now if you want to see a movie about Idi Amin, I suggest you watch Barbet Schroeder's "Général Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait" documentary, it is very good and you get closer to Idi Amin than you ever wanted, because Idi Amin fully cooperated in the making of this documentary...
Thanks for mentioning "Bus 174" in the Dope Sheet, excellent choice...

Scariest Moments: The Maximilian robot from "The Black Hole" and the closing of "Don't Look Now"

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 02:11:58 PM »
Sam... I have trouble finding my girl voice too. Probably worse for me, all things considered.

--Ann

eig

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 10:11:08 PM »
Those monkeys in The Wizard of Oz, scariest thing I've ever seen in a movie. Ok, it was on TV, but it still gives me chills just thinking about them. They were truly frightening.

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 10:29:46 PM »
My scariest movie moment is also from a TV movie, Stephen King's "It."
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 10:39:03 PM »
Which part? I read the book before I watched the movie, but I still remember being scared of the movie. The scariest parts being the clown in the gutter, the movie monsters outside the theater, and the shower scene. The end was kinda weird, but that was so in the book as well. That usually happens with King's books.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 10:50:14 PM »
The blood coming out of the facuet freaked me out.  Also clowns are freakin scary so any scene with Pennywise (?) I think that was his name.