love

Poll

What's your favorite film by Peter Bogdanovich?

Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women
0 (0%)
Targets
4 (13.8%)
The Last Picture Show
4 (13.8%)
Directed by John Ford
0 (0%)
What's Up, Doc?
5 (17.2%)
Paper Moon
11 (37.9%)
Daisy Miller
0 (0%)
At Long Last Love
0 (0%)
Nickelodeon
0 (0%)
Saint Jack
0 (0%)
They All Laughed
1 (3.4%)
Mask
0 (0%)
Illegally Yours
0 (0%)
Texasville
0 (0%)
Noises Off...
0 (0%)
The Thing Called Love
1 (3.4%)
To Sir, with Love II
0 (0%)
The Cat's Meow
0 (0%)
The Mystery of Natalie Wood
0 (0%)
She's Funny That Way
0 (0%)
The Great Buster
0 (0%)
other
0 (0%)
haven't seen any
3 (10.3%)
don't like any
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Bogdanovich, Peter  (Read 3304 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Bogdanovich, Peter
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »
Paper Moon, 75°
At Long Last Love, 65°

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down A Dream, 50°
The Great Buster: A Celebration, 45°

What’s Up, Doc? 40°
The Last Picture Show, 35°
They All Laughed, 25°
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:18:01 AM by Knocked Out Loaded »
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

1SO

• Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Bogdanovich, Peter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2022, 12:06:11 AM »

At Long Last Love (1975)

The briefest chapter in Tarantino's book is a defense of Peter Bogdanovich's Daisy Miller (1974) and the performance by Cybill Shepherd. Tarantino believes Bogdanovich bends the film to Shepherd's strength by turning this period comedy of manners into a Howard Hawks style fast-paced screwball. I watched it, and I don't agree at all. The story doesn't lend itself to screwball comedy and won't be bent except in brief moments. As for Shepherd, she isn't comfortable in the time period and among these characters, and she sticks out as a disastrous piece of casting (★ ½)

At Long Last Love is Bogdanovich's love letter to 1930s musicals, with over a dozen Cole Porter songs. (This is aggressively musical, with maybe two minutes of dialogue between songs.) Barely released in 1975 by a studio that sold it as a rom-com starring Cybill Shepherd and Burt Reynolds, destroyed by most critics for the cast not having musical credibility and quickly re-edited into a version that cuts out a lot of Shepherd's songs. In 2013 a proper "Definitive Director's Version" was released. It's what I saw, and once I got over the cast not being as good as Fred and Ginger I have to admit, it's lovely.

The casting is odd, filled out by Madeline Kahn and an Italian named Duilio Del Prete who speaks like Chico Marx. There's also a 3rd couple played by Eileen Brennan and John Hillerman, and they're excellent throughout. It's a story where they keep changing (hetero) partners, and all four are given equal weight while they sip the songs like champagne. All four throw themselves into the spirit of the project, and Shepherd is the best of the bunch. This is the charm Tarantino saw in Daisy Miller, the most I've enjoyed Shepherd outside of Moonlighting. Burt Reynolds is surprisingly good too, once you get past the fact that he's singing and dancing. He brings his twinkle to this and not his "too cool" detachment.
RATING: ★ ★ ★ - Okay