The Way Back
1 (0.2%)
Winter's Bone
30 (7%)
Other
2 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: January 25, 2011, 02:37:28 AM

Author Topic: Predict the Best Picture Nominees - 2010  (Read 9253 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Predict the Best Picture Nominees - 2010
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »
Entering Oscar Season.  Lock in your Answers now. 

I've allowed you to change your vote, so we'll see how the landscape changes throughout the season.

flieger

Re: Predict the Best Picture Nominees - 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:42:10 AM »
I have no idea about the vast majority of the films so I went with these...

127 Hours   
Black Swan   
Inception   
The Kids Are Alright   
Shutter Island
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:44 AM »
Here's the 10 I think are most likely:

127 Hours
Another Year
Black Swan
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone

HM: Blue Valentine, The Fighter, Somewhere, Made In Dagenham

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »
127 Hours
Black Swan
Inception
The King's Speech
Never Let Me Go
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone
Other (Not saying what, I'm just saying probably something not on the list gets nominated)

I feel like Winter's Bone is the kind of film that is likely gets snubbed in favor of something like The Kids Are All Right.

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The King's Speech
Never Let Me Go
The Social Network
Somewhere
Toy Story 3
True Grit

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
127 Hours - Boyle's first after Slumdog and has tons of critical support. It's also an amazing film.
Black Swan - Another with tons of critical support and the first for Aronofsky after The Wrestler. Basically guaranteed a nomination, but unlikely to win due to dark and twisted subject matter.
The Fighter - This one is an underdog story based on a true story and with two apparently fantastic performances. it's also a late-in-the-season film that will be in people's minds when they fill out their nominee ballots.
Inception - I mean, come on. It's Inception. It did extremely well commercially and critically. It became part  of the lexicon for the year. AND the whole 10 nominees thing was done after The Dark Knight got screwed out of a Best Picture nomination. The Academy owes Nolan.
The Kids Are All Right - For me this is the "little indie film obliged to be nominated". It was between this an Winter's Bone, but I feel like this one has more love and its a lighter story, which Academy voters are more likely to support. Plus, it's got great performances from most of the leads which always helps.
The King's Speech - It's pure "Oscar Bait" in terms of content, but apparently it's actually pretty damn amazing. It also won the Audience Choice Award at TIFF, which is basically a one-way ticket to a nomination lately.
The Social Network - What more needs to be said really? It's a great film that has been praised to death, which is all the more amazing considering so many people thought it was going to be awful. A great movie that's also a total surprise for its greatness is going to be recognized.
The Town - Ben Affleck directs a solid character-based heist film. Critics love it. Audiences love it. Everyone is behind it. It won't have a chance of winning, but a nomination it will get.
Toy Story 3 - Here's another case of a film that represents the screwing received at the 2009 Ceremony. Wall-E got screwed and so we have 10 nominees. An animated film from Pixar that is as great and beautiful and ambitious and made as much damn money as TS3 is going to be nominated, and this time I actually think it even has a marginal shot of actually winning. I say this because I don't think there is any clear front runner. King's Speech is up there and so is Social Network and so is 127 Hours. That's three films with veyr high chances, and I could definitely see Toy Story 3 bringing in the rear. It may also benefit from the general adoration it has, but also from the adoration for Pixar in the film industry. Toy Story 3 might get the Return of the King prize but for the entire studio, not just the Toy Story series.
True Grit - Haven't seen it. Sure it's all manner of awesome. Coen Brothers. Yay!

Now, if any of those 10 do not get a nomination then these are the films I could see taking their place:

How Do You Know - Academy loves James Brooks. They love him.
Never Let Me Go - Didn't get the right amount of support, but it's still a period-y British movie.
Shutter Island - Did well with audiences, and I think over time the critical community came around to it. Tons of great actors. Beautiful visuals. Scorsese. It doesn't have a high chance of a nomination, but the Academy members' memories are sometimes deeper than expected.
Somewhere - I highly doubt it, but you never know.
Winter's Bone - This one was the toss-up with The Kids Are All Right, so I say it might have that shot at the "little indie film obliged to be nominated."
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »
It's alarming how many of you are unaware of Peter Weir's The Way Back.  Especially you FroHam.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
It's alarming how many of you are unaware of Peter Weir's The Way Back.  Especially you FroHam.

I'm aware, but it has no buzz yet and isn't close to coming out. Once it's out and the buzz is there I reserve the right to revise my list. Realize that at this stage I haven't even seen four of the 10 movies I chose. I just chose them based on my knowledge of them, their critical reception and the general buzz about them.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
Gallipoli (1981)
The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
Witness (1985)
The Mosquito Coast (1986)
Dead Poets Society (1989)
Fearless (1993)
The Truman Show (1998)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
The Way Back (2010)

That's easily worth the same amount of buzz as True Grit.  Much more than How Do You Know.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
I'm hella excited for The Way Back, but for some reason it doesn't have that best film nominee vibe to it.

Then again, Like Frohmp, I reserve to change my list at a later date.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love