Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229387 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #2880 on: March 29, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
How does something go from critically panned, and maybe even kind of a joke, to being considered good? I ask this question on the back of seeing the new Evanescence album with a score of 80 on Metacritic. I can't believe that's still a band.

Here are some of those works or people I'm thinking of, just off the top of my head, but there are surely more:
Apologies to Bondo. I wrote this and realized you like at least a few of these. Maybe you can provide some pushback?
Keanu Reeves (This is the big one that alerted me to this very strange type of revisionist history. I will even admit that I've started to like the guy. He's still not a fantastic actor by any means.)
Enya
Showgirls
N Sync & Backstreet Boys
Evanescence

So how does this happen?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #2881 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:12 AM »
Since when was Evanescence considered a joke?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2882 on: March 30, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Is there a boy band you like in comparison to NSYNC/Backstreet or do you hate the genre? I don’t think either was considered a joke at the time, nor do I feel like their stock has particularly changed.

Like Deer Hunter says, I don’t really think Evanescence was either. Are you sure you weren’t just a snobby hipster as a teen/young adult?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2883 on: March 30, 2021, 06:35:33 AM »
“I Want It That Way” is a timeless banger.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2884 on: March 30, 2021, 07:21:39 AM »
I am having a hard time to judge the perceptions of any of those except maybe Keane Reeves, in which case, did we really think he was a joke and now considered fantastic?  He probably gets more praise for just being a decent person, not that deserves praise but maybe in comparison to the rest, he seems like a great person.  But I think he has always has a mixed perception throughout his career though even if he can get big roles.

Where Scarlett Johansson is probably looked upon far higher now then earlier in her career but probably has grown to deserve it.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2885 on: March 30, 2021, 07:48:08 AM »
Where Scarlett Johansson is probably looked upon far higher now then earlier in her career but probably has grown to deserve it.

You didn't like her in Home Alone 3?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2886 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:57 AM »

You didn't like her in Home Alone 3?

I thought best not to jump to 3 after having not seen 1&2, though I did spend 20 mins reading her Poll thread which started in 2008 so you get a bit of opinion over her career intermingled with a lot of cultural discussion inbetween.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2887 on: March 30, 2021, 08:52:20 AM »
ScarJo occasionally gets in hot water because of some of the roles she accepts and how she speaks about them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2888 on: March 30, 2021, 01:33:43 PM »
I mean, Ghost World and The Man Who Wasn’t There had ScarJo on reasonably respected footing early on I think.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #2889 on: March 30, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
1SO’s Best Supporting Actress 1998 for The Horse Whisperer.