love

Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229275 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #2890 on: March 30, 2021, 03:40:01 PM »
Sam's Guide for How to Source Movies for Cheap to Sell at a Profit in Order to Perpetuate the Capitalist Machine (or Just Pay the Bills):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON4fA1UcXFY

And if making this video taught me anything is that a Criterion release of Armageddon can be out of print and still be at a trash price because nobody wants to own that ish.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2891 on: March 30, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »
Is there a boy band you like in comparison to NSYNC/Backstreet or do you hate the genre? I don’t think either was considered a joke at the time, nor do I feel like their stock has particularly changed.

Like Deer Hunter says, I don’t really think Evanescence was either. Are you sure you weren’t just a snobby hipster as a teen/young adult?

Ha...I mean if I was then, I mostly am now. I’m ok with that. The hipster label is a defense mechanism, kind of like calling someone PC or woke pejoratively, but besides that, I’ll own it. I think artistic process, vision, and talent matter, and I’m pretty precious about what I think fits that. But that’s me, and I’m talking about what I saw as a majority opinion from the past that seems to be getting revision now.

With the boy bands, tbh I did not know anyone taking them seriously as a kid, they mostly got clowned, and their albums weren’t exactly lighting up year-end lists. At best, they were a fun diversion for their target demographic (and I’m not saying you had to be part of that to enjoy them, only that they knew where they were making their money).

I mean, Ghost World and The Man Who Wasn’t There had ScarJo on reasonably respected footing early on I think.

It’s interesting someone mentioned her with the various great roles she’s had over the past couple decades. Ghost World for sure. But so many things later, Lost in Translation, Under the Skin, Marriage Story, so on.

Would like to know if anyone has any other actors/musicians/films they think have seen their stock rise with time despite not being considered artistically meritorious previously. It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot over time.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2892 on: March 30, 2021, 06:47:11 PM »
I don’t even feel bad for enjoying Ghost in the Shell.
Sorry not sorry.
Hey, nice marmot!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2893 on: March 30, 2021, 08:57:28 PM »
Why should you feel bad for enjoying Ghost in the Shell?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2894 on: March 30, 2021, 09:07:12 PM »
Because it's a desacration of the holiness of anime!  ;D

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2895 on: March 30, 2021, 10:24:40 PM »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2896 on: March 31, 2021, 08:40:11 AM »
The anime motion picture isn't that good either, but it's because they cast ScarJo rather than a Japanese actress in the lead role, I believe. A fair enough criticism given the setting. An awful criticism when it comes to Netflix's live action Death Note.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2897 on: April 02, 2021, 03:44:23 PM »
I know it's probably discouraged to change your name on the forum for continuity's sake, but since it's (obviously and rightfully) used to determine what we call each other, I wanted to put up what I actually prefer to be called. Eric (real first name) or E.T. (childhood nickname) are what I like to be called. No one has ever called me etdoesgood until I came here (it's just my email address, etdoesgood and a number at gmail), and I'd honestly prefer not to be called that. I consider you all friends, and my friends call me Eric or E.T.  :)

Update: Now officially going with the Genius/GZA, backslash look for good.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:22:47 PM by Eric/E.T. »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2898 on: April 04, 2021, 10:26:23 AM »
Happy Easter everyone!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2899 on: April 20, 2021, 10:59:27 PM »
So apparently Facebook doesn’t approve of the C-Word - even when referring to Morrissey from the Smiths who, arguably, is a huge one.
I mean - it’s not like he’ll ever read my post and if he did then maybe he needed that truth bomb.
Hey, nice marmot!

love