love

Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229285 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #700 on: November 06, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #701 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
Hey! A new podcast review. S'been a while.

(Unfortunately, it's a podcast I recommended...and he tears it to bits.)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #702 on: November 06, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
I was wondering where he was, what happened?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #703 on: November 06, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
We drove him away, jdc, we drove him away. [Sad emoticon thingy.]

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #704 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:31 PM »
I just had one of those moments like in the movies where the character thinks he sees something, but then a bus goes by and the next time he looks it's something else. Only for me it was a tree I was walking by and not a bus. I thought I saw a dog but then it was a bag of garbage.

I've never had this happen to me before that I can remember, so it was pretty exciting. I did a Keanu "whoa".

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #705 on: November 07, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
smirnoff, the movie of your life has just begun. We're on like page five of the script, wherein we see the first flashes of your supernatural gifts. In another seven pages, you'll learn that you're The One and be given your quest. You'll reject it, just because that's how these things work. But then a mysterious archeologist will die horribly before your helpless eyes, and with his dying breath he'll gasp, "Please, smirnoff. Please help my snowbird father." And despite your reluctant Canadian nature, you'll promise him that you will.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #706 on: November 07, 2011, 05:01:51 PM »
I will not fail!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #707 on: November 07, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »
:D

pixote, we've missed you.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #708 on: November 07, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
I just had one of those moments like in the movies where the character thinks he sees something, but then a bus goes by and the next time he looks it's something else. Only for me it was a tree I was walking by and not a bus. I thought I saw a dog but then it was a bag of garbage.

I've never had this happen to me before that I can remember, so it was pretty exciting. I did a Keanu "whoa".

usually a glitch in the Matrix

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #709 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:21 PM »
THE TRUTH CAN NOW BE TOLD!

It is true that I had a spiritual counselling session with the previously named 1 Strong Opinion, which was under pastoral confidentiality, but since SOMEONE 'fessed up the whole thing...

Some of our newer members may not be aware of this but when Mr. 1SO first showed up he went by his full name, 1 Strong Opinion. And strong opinions they were!
Paul Thomas Anderson has demons
Demons he said! How frightful.  There was a time though, which many here will remember, when 1SO had demons of his own...
4) Prince Caspian
5) Rambo
Such brazen statements sent shockwaves through the community, let me tell you. Oh how we wailed and gnashed our teethses.
But then oldkid came, and we commissioned him to perform an exorcism. And he did so. After the procedure there was no longer a 1 Strong Opinion, but 1SO. And that's the story of how 1SO got his name.

Ahem...

Perhaps some of you wondered what happened to 1 Strong Opinion on that fateful day, and how the exorcism actually took place.

Frankly, Benny Hinn and his ilk disgust me.  They have no sense of decorum or of fair play.  They are all about screaming and hitting people in the forehead.  What this world needs is a Mennonite exorcist.

Mennonite exorcisms are pretty simple, actually.  You take the demon to a local bar and buy him a few drinks.  As the Mennonite, you can't have a drink yourself, but it helps to have the demon loosened up.  I would have had a Dr. Pepper, but I don't drink soda either, so I had a cranberry juice.  With a lemon.

I told the demon straight out that he wasn't welcome on the forum anymore.  Just too much drama, and he was crowding out the Unpopular Opinion thread.  He took it as well as could be imagined.  At first he argued, and then he came to his senses and realized that there were enough recklessness on the forum as it was, and so he just wasn't needed. 

The rest of the night was spent well.   He almost drowned himself in margaritas and the juice gave me a stomach ache.  We laughed, we cried... it was a good night.  Then I put him under The Ban.  We parted in silence.

A rendering of how he looked after I broke the news:

I've often wondered what happened to him.  Great guy, really.  Just misunderstood, more than anything.

Still, it's great to have 1SO still on the forum in a semi-rational demeanor.  Again, happy 10,000th.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky