Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229389 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #930 on: February 03, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
As long as people understand what you are saying, there is no such thing as incorrect grammar. Grammar exists solely to aid in communication, where communication is the transmission of information.
I suspect people have thoughts on that claim. To "Words and Grammar and Stuff" we go!

Ugh.
;D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #931 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:32 AM »
As long as people understand what you are saying, there is no such thing as incorrect grammar. Grammar exists solely to aid in communication, where communication is the transmission of information.

yu, b like! craZY 1 bON?Do.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #932 on: February 03, 2012, 12:01:33 PM »

Linguistic truth!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #933 on: February 03, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
Linguistic truth!
True.

But generally speaking, you can make your point mostly quickly and/or most effectively when you follow grammar conventions.

I can read and respond to a student essay that follows grammar conventions in 15 minutes.  The student essay that is rife with grammar errors ("errors," if you like) takes me 45 minutes, not because I'm using my red pen more but because it takes me a lot longer to figure out what the student is trying to say.  I understand it, eventually, but getting to the understanding is a maddening process.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #934 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »
For me, that was the biggest hardship of teaching Writing 101, reading all this writing theory stuff in the classes I was taking and knowing that I really needed to be teaching students how to use comma clauses for their future classes.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #935 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
grammar errors

Gotcha, two nouns! D- no star

Grammatical errors.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #936 on: February 03, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
The notion that language was concrete has always bothered me as well, hence the quest for "dank" continues.

That said, I'm mostly here to clear the air about something rather important, and likely what is at the front of everyone's mind:

In my case I will accept either FLY, FLYs, FLsY, FsLY, FsLsY, FsLsYs, sFLYs, sFsLY, sFLsY, or even sFsLsYs.

Depending on the day, I think it's also proper to spell any of those backwards.

EDIT: Also, with the rise of WU LYF, I will also accept LYF but not claim their use of meaning applied to that acronym. Any deviation like the ones above in relation to that acronym are sound uses of grammar as well. Again, depending on the day, it is even proper to use WU FLY.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:46:11 PM by FLYmeatwad »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #937 on: February 03, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
In my case I will accept either FLY, FLYs, FLsY, FsLY, FsLsY, FsLsYs, sFLYs, sFsLY, sFLsY, or even sFsLsYs.

Well, what about flies?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #938 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »

Well, what about flies?

I don't really think that's an acronym :no:

I think the acronym also loses its meaning when it becomes FLIES, the letters don't really work that way, I don't think.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #939 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »
grammar errors
Gotcha, two nouns! D- no star
Grammatical errors.
Stinker. :)

For me, that was the biggest hardship of teaching Writing 101, reading all this writing theory stuff in the classes I was taking and knowing that I really needed to be teaching students how to use comma clauses for their future classes.
Too true!

The notion that language was concrete has always bothered me as well, hence the quest for "dank" continues.
My objection to "dank" is aesthetic in nature. :)