Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229299 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #1180 on: July 28, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »
Has Nestle done something awful?

Well, they have decided to let only Canadians enjoy the wonderfulness that is Coffee Crisps for some strange reason
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1181 on: July 28, 2012, 03:47:22 AM »

Well, they have decided to let only Canadians enjoy the wonderfulness that is Coffee Crisps for some strange reason

:D  Yeah, what's that all about? Any good Singapore chocolatiers?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1182 on: July 28, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »

:D  Yeah, what's that all about? Any good Singapore chocolatiers?

(not my pictures below)

I don't think chocolatiers.  I was in Hong Kong the last few days and had this desert at Sweet Dynasty:

You can scroll through to see what HK desserts look like:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g294217-d786130-w3-The_Sweet_Dynasty-Hong_Kong.html#27838536

This is often typical of local desserts (not candy):

\

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1183 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:32 AM »
Dave, it's your favorite candy bar but you won't buy it? Has Nestle done something awful?

Nestle has a long history of paying doctors and generally pushing infant formula in poor developing countries. This is a problem because infant formula is expensive and needs to be mixed with water (which in developing countries is often contaminated). The expense means mothers will often not mixed enough formula up and so the infant gets insufficient nutrient. There is a wiki page on the boycott (here).

I stopped getting Nestle products about 8 to 10 years ago after hearing about this practice, it was during my more activist days, and I just have not found a reason to start buying their products again. I am sure I still occasionally buy something from the huge range of products they own, but I do try and avoid them.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1184 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:13 AM »
Dave, it's your favorite candy bar but you won't buy it? Has Nestle done something awful?

Nestle has a long history of paying doctors and generally pushing infant formula in poor developing countries. This is a problem because infant formula is expensive and needs to be mixed with water (which in developing countries is often contaminated). The expense means mothers will often not mixed enough formula up and so the infant gets insufficient nutrient. There is a wiki page on the boycott (here).

I stopped getting Nestle products about 8 to 10 years ago after hearing about this practice, it was during my more activist days, and I just have not found a reason to start buying their products again. I am sure I still occasionally buy something from the huge range of products they own, but I do try and avoid them.

Oh. That is very disturbing. Thanks for letting me know.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1185 on: July 28, 2012, 04:43:09 AM »
I was in Hong Kong the last few days and had this desert at Sweet Dynasty:

You can scroll through to see what HK desserts look like:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g294217-d786130-w3-The_Sweet_Dynasty-Hong_Kong.html#27838536

This is often typical of local desserts (not candy):

\

That's like Star Trek food! So fun! I can't figure out why corn and beans are in their desserts and I'm a little afraid to ask what the beige paste picture is.  :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1186 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »

That's like Star Trek food! So fun! I can't figure out why corn and beans are in their desserts and I'm a little afraid to ask what the beige paste picture is.  :)

Usually there are a lot of desserts are with sweetened bean paste or sesame paste. I know a lot of times I think they just look horrible but then you try them and they are very good.  At the end of most Chinese dinners the desserts end as a big plate of fresh mango, watermelon, apple, etc.  If not fresh fruits, then often will be shaved ice with syrups and fruits.  But never pies or cakes. 

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1187 on: July 31, 2012, 03:04:09 AM »
Because I'm a horrible person, my first thought upon reading this was that clearly digging proper graves is a man's job.

A Pennsylvania prosecutor is considering the death penalty for two women who admitted to beating, strangling and burying alive one of the pair’s former lovers.

The couple, 18-year-old Jade N. Olmstead and 20-year-old Ashley M. Barber, told police they lured Brandy M. Stevens—Olmstead’s former girlfriend—to their Cochrantan, Pennsylvania, home.

There they proceeded to punch 20-year-old Stevens, choke her with a rope, pound her head against a stump, and roll her into a shallow grave they had prepared, according to testimony by state police trooper Eric Mallory.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1188 on: August 01, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
Sure, at first glance the hipster simulation of a mid-century, working class barbershop is pretty obnoxious. The barberpoll and smell of men is replaced with metrosexuals sporting sleeve tattoos who recommend the clientele to definitely get Sigur Rós tickets if they're going to be in Montreal next week. All is of course forgiven when the framed, autographed John Larroquette glossy is spotted. The stack of Playboys and obvious reverence for Keith Richards were merely icing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:30:13 AM by mañana »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1189 on: August 08, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
Sigur Ros tickets is a really good idea...
Hey, nice marmot!

love