love

Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229231 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #1280 on: December 20, 2012, 01:58:57 AM »
Hi! Yes! All moved in. We signed today. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1281 on: December 20, 2012, 02:14:03 AM »
I'm so happy that you get to enjoy Christmas in your new home. :)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1282 on: December 20, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
Thank-you and me, too! It's such a treat of a Christmas present for us!!

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #1283 on: December 20, 2012, 02:44:06 AM »
Awesome OAD!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1284 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:25 AM »

That was quite fast.  I'll finish the signing and take the keys on 15 January but won't move until the end of March.  I have some renovations to do but they will get delayed due to the Chinese New Year on 10 Feb.  Enjoy xmas in your new home...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1285 on: December 20, 2012, 10:10:41 AM »
Awesome OAD!
Thanks, Tim! :)

That was quite fast.  I'll finish the signing and take the keys on 15 January but won't move until the end of March.  I have some renovations to do but they will get delayed due to the Chinese New Year on 10 Feb.  Enjoy xmas in your new home...
Thanks, jdc! From the time our offer was accepted (mid-Oct) until now has felt like an eternity - but you're right - it has been fast! And we're thankful. We were able to work out a deal with the former owners (who are so great) where we could move in a bit before actual closing; it's been nice to be somewhat settled before Christmas.

What kinds of renovations will you be doing to your new place? Nothing too major, I hope?  Happily, we haven't had to do anything to ours - though we'll have some small maintenance-type things to take care of soon, eg. a little moss on the north roof, and also as former carpenter, Uri's been eyeing a bunch of the trim work he's not happy with and he'll eventually do something with that.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1286 on: December 20, 2012, 10:18:09 AM »
So happy for you OAD!
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1287 on: December 20, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
So happy for you OAD!
Thank-you, ses! :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1288 on: December 20, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
Awesome OAD!
Thanks, Tim! :)

Thanks, jdc! From the time our offer was accepted (mid-Oct) until now has felt like an eternity - but you're right - it has been fast! And we're thankful. We were able to work out a deal with the former owners (who are so great) where we could move in a bit before actual closing; it's been nice to be somewhat settled before Christmas.

What kinds of renovations will you be doing to your new place? Nothing too major, I hope?  Happily, we haven't had to do anything to ours - though we'll have some small maintenance-type things to take care of soon, eg. a little moss on the north roof, and also as former carpenter, Uri's been eyeing a bunch of the trim work he's not happy with and he'll eventually do something with that.

A couple major things, will have the kitchen and bathrooms completely redone.  This usually means they will have to break up the floor and wall tiles with a jackhammer type advise and put down new.  The rest will be painting the walls and polishing the floors.  Plus, I want to run networking and speaker wiring behind the walls.  So I am looking at about 1 month worth of work before moving in.

People in general leave their places in pretty poor condition when they move.  They just expect the new owners will renovate.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1289 on: December 20, 2012, 07:47:12 PM »
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I suppose the advantage is that you get to make a bunch of your own design choices.  I hope it all goes smoothly for you when renovation time comes!