love

Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229300 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #1380 on: March 14, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »
Completely exhausting week but in a pretty good way. Little time to keep up for the next little while plus no time to get to watch a movie.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1381 on: March 15, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »
Hey everyone.

Everything is great. I've just been really busy this year in my personal and work life. Haven't had time to see much film. I've missed the forum and am going to try to be around a little more.

The fact that I was not active on the forum when Before Midnight was announced nearly resulted in me being single. My girlfriend even said at one point to quit talking about it and go post to FS forum!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1382 on: March 15, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
:))

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1383 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
 ;D ;D welcome back Clovis

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1384 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
Hi Clovis!

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1385 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »

glad to have you back... and not broken up!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1386 on: March 15, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Hi Clovis!! We've missed you! Good to hear you are well. :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1387 on: March 16, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
We have missed you Clovis.  Can't wait to hear your views on Before Midnight!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1388 on: March 16, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
Top 5 Franchise Foods (in no particular order):

1. Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana: What I had for lunch, which is what inspired me to do this post.  Pretty much every entree at the OG is an exercise in disappointment, but this soup is a joy.  A creamy, spicy broth swimming with potatoes, kale and chunks of sausage, it's a perfect meal by itself (or even better, paired with their buttery, slightly salty breadsticks... the only other really good item at OG).

2. Wendy's Chili: Generally Wendy's is one of the better fast food chains.  But their fries are a bit bland.  Better to substitute for a bowl of their surprisingly tasty chili, which is a healthier option anyway.  Once in a while you'll get a cup that's a little too soupy, but usually it's got the right balance of ingredients.  Hot sauce is a must, cheese and onions optional.

3. Arby's Mozzarella Sticks: It's FRIED CHEESE, what's not to love?  Sure, it's terrible for you but what a guilty pleasure.  Delicious with or without marinara.  Red Robin also makes pretty good mozz sticks.  The ones at Jack in the Box are awful, though.

4. Popeye's Spicy Fried Chicken: With a light, crispy batter that packs just enough of a kick, Popeye's blows KFC out of the water.  There isn't a franchise near me, but every once in a while I'll make the 45 minute round trip just to have some.  Caveat: cold leftover KFC is better than cold leftover Popeye's.

5. White Castle Sliders/Burgerville Rosemary Shoestring Potatoes: A tie for two regional selections.  I don't live in the Midwest any more so I rarely get a chance to indulge in WC's little "belly bombers", but the frozen supermarket version is actually not a bad substitute (and a bonus, they don't come with pickles, which I hate).  Here in the Pacific Northwest we have Burgerville, but frankly I don't care at all for their burgers.  They're probably better for you than a Big Mac or a Whopper, but the patties are flat, flimsy and tasteless.  Their seasonal rosemary fries, however, are absolutely craveable.  I wish they carried them year round. 

(I left off Giordano's stuffed pizza... it's the best food in the universe, but I don't consider them large enough to really qualify as a "franchise")
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 03:14:49 PM by MartinTeller »

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #1389 on: March 16, 2013, 03:35:19 PM »
Totally agree on Wendy's chili, but it's also great to dip their sub-standard fries into as a means to improve them.

A&W Onion Rings are the most underrated fast food snack.