Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229359 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #2530 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
I was doing a bit of cleaning up today and found an old list of nearly 200 movies I had seen. The list was from the early/mid 1980s. No dates, but I do remember doing the list. Back around then I also wrote an application that stored movies I had seen, but that was an Apple 2 Europlus with 5.25inch floppy drives, the computer and the disk are long gone.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2531 on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
I think DH will attest to seeing this often but it still boggles my mind at times. I know we often pay too much attention to the electronic device in front of is and not the person sitting across from us at the table but occasionally I can't help but wonder what the hell.

A few nights a week as I walk my dog, she pulls me over to the bar by the fishing pond. I really have no choice but to stop and grab a pint or two so she can make friends with the other customers. Tonight there was a young couple (mid 20's I would guess) sitting at the table next to me with a jug of beer. They don't sell pitchers of beer in Singapore, only jugs. The guy was drinking something that looked like lemon water or tea from a water bottle that he had brought. The girl was drinking the jug of beer on her own. They only had 1 beer glass and she was the only one that drank from it.

I sat next to them for about 2 hours (ok, I drank a jug of beer, not a pint) and the entire time I was there, they never so much as said a word to each other, they were both completely glued to their phones. Occasionally she looked over to Maisy as she kept trying to crawl over for attention. But never did I see them actually talk to each other unless they were doing is via WeChat...

Sometimes I just feel like sitting down at a table with this type of couple and asking what the hell is going on...

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2532 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:55 AM »
I would rather punch them myself. More and more often, I get into arguments with new people I meet because of how often they're using their phones at the table.

Singapore was especially egregious though. I think something about the speed those sorts of countries have caught up with the West economically and technologically makes them particularly prone to this. Or maybe it's an Asian thing.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2533 on: January 18, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
My wife and I make a concerted effort to keep the phones away while we're at the table. There are plenty nights when we're sitting on the couch watching TV when we both find ourselves glued to our phones instead.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2534 on: January 18, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
When my wife and I are out, we put our phones aside and talk to each other.  Sometimes, when we have nothing to talk about, we find funny stories on our phones and tell each other about them.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2535 on: January 26, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
Since we only have a wacky Japanese thread, I will have to put this one here:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/26/europe/nutella-discount-sparks-chaos-in-france-intl/index.html

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #2536 on: January 27, 2018, 03:28:16 AM »
I think I know some of those people.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #2537 on: February 16, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
I quit Facebook today. Tired of being so angry at strangers in acquaintances time lines.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2538 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
I quit Facebook today. Tired of being so angry at strangers in acquaintances time lines.

I quite it at the end of December for 6 weeks, it was a great thing to do. But I do use in order to find which musicians are playing and where week to week so I occasionally check it. In order to limit my use, I installed a browser Plugin called StayFocused and limited my daily usage to 10 minutes. Then I added any other site that I would occasionally go to distract me from studying or other productive activities. 

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2539 on: February 16, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
I use a blocker that shuts down any productive work after 10 minutes and reminds me to check social media.  ;D

love