Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229273 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #2860 on: March 05, 2021, 09:09:34 PM »
JDC - I prefer others to grow my herb. And from what I've read, diet is just about everything when it comes to controlling your weight, though exercise is required to keep everything inside fine tuned. I need both, no question. I just went grocery shopping for breakfast and lunch for the first time in what feels like forever.

Dave - That's awesome! That is going to be quite the accomplishment. Let us know how it goes.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2861 on: March 05, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »
Tennis was my main sport but my knee is badly arthritic so I can't really do high impact activities until I have knee surgery and I'm trying to put that off since artificial knees only last 15 or so years. I guess I need to take up pickleball. Instead I bike and do Peloton strength/yoga classes. But yeah, guess I'm gonna have to have no fun re diet to make any progress. I wake up at 4:30am so between then and 7:30 when I leave for work it's the workout plus some phone games (played while listening to podcasts).

Otherwise it's movies/TV and soccer on evenings/weekends, and then at 8pm I shut all that down and read until I fall asleep.

Video games are the thing I'd like to do more in theory but gets squeezed out.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2862 on: March 05, 2021, 10:38:21 PM »
Pickelball is awesome. I should try to find a meet up for that.

Video games is so push and pull with me. I like to have a few continuous hours to immerse myself, but that only really happens during vacations. Weekends are sports and movies, but the whole problem really is how aimless I can be with my time.

I put down $7 for Diarium, going to get back into journaling properly here. I have lots of paper journals, but I'd like to do some audio recordings and add photos, so this should work.

Spring Break this week, I'm going to focus on reading, movies, and journaling. 1SO will still watch more movies than me this week, but I will at least rival him! I don't have a list going into it, which is unusual for me, but I'm going to look at the Independent Spirit Awards and see if I can come late to any parties. (I just walked into another quoting out of context, damn it.) Westerns will play a role, too, for sure.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2863 on: March 06, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »
JDC - I prefer others to grow my herb.

My local wet market is good for Coriander and thai basil and its cheap. But if I want fresh Italian basil, thyme, rosemary or things like those, I have to go to the western grocery store and a small bag of them that you would use for cooking 1 dish ends up being $4 or $5... so I those are what I was trying to grow.  I get irked every time i have to buy a little bad of those fresh herbs
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2864 on: March 06, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
Well talking about exercise I am going to compete in my first track racing event (cycling) tomorrow. It is likely going to be a handicap event so I will see just how far in front I start of the other competitors. In training the other week I was a full 5 seconds slower than the next slowest rider (and their time was 46 seconds). I am hoping I will not have to give 5 seconds tomorrow, 4 would be good :). Now I need to go and find a track bike to buy so I do not have to keep using the one of the club bikes.

Well I did 4 races and did not come last in all of them (only half of them :)). It was a lot of fun. It was a small meet. I competed in a couple of scratch races, the handicap, and one other race. I did best in my first and last race. The first race because I rode the first 5 laps with my hands on the top of the handle bars, and just used the drops for the last lap. Afterwards I was told that is not allowed as it is too dangerous, you have to ride with your hands of the drops (with your hands there is is much harder to your handlebars to get caught up with someone else's). I definitely can see myself doing racing again.

I have had no luck finding a bike so far. I got a few good suggestions at the meet today, so I will try those.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2865 on: March 06, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »
Well done, Dave!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2866 on: March 07, 2021, 06:11:58 PM »
So are you hooked now, Dave?

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #2867 on: March 08, 2021, 03:39:49 AM »
Thank you Sandy

ET, yes I am a little. The season is coming to an end (although it may continue at one of the indoor velodromes), I am not sure if I will have a break or continue trying to race through winter.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2868 on: March 10, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Interview for IT Support job at 2:30 today. Hope it goes well. This seems like a good fit and it's full-time with benefits which I haven't had in *checks calendar* over two years now. Pays better than anything I ever got in higher education and it's for a small company.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2869 on: March 10, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »
Good luck!!