love

Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 229289 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: General Chatter
« Reply #3050 on: March 21, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »
I hope to see you back soon. I am now following your Letterboxd account.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3051 on: April 06, 2022, 11:00:16 PM »
Looks like I'll be teaching in Detroit next year. Got a job teaching third-grade science and social studies. Not even a humble brag, because teaching jobs are very easy to get in Southeast Michigan right now, but I had several schools to choose from. This one appealed to me because I'm not teaching a highly tested and scrutinized subject, so I can focus on stoking a love of these subjects in the kids without worrying as much about standardized testing at the end of the year. The downside is I don't have the same kids all day, but it seems like Detroit has embraced departmentalization after second grade. IMO, bad move, but I'll work within it.

Excited to move back to my home state! It's an essential change with the mental health issues, can't wait to be around my family, and having a job is now one less worry for me to deal with.

Also, my dad is back on his feet, free of infection and doing better. :)
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3052 on: April 07, 2022, 01:48:14 PM »
Happiness!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3053 on: July 08, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »
Popping into say hi and let you know I'm still around.

I've barely watched any movies since taking a break here. Spending a lot more time fostering IRL relationships, including a couple that center a lot about talking about movies which honestly sates most of my desire for film discourse. Mediated relationships in general I find have been not worth the time and energy so I've dropped almost all of them and find myself much happier about the quality of my relationships right now. Except for one dear friend, if I don't see you face to face, you're probably not going to hear about what is going on in my life and I'm liking it that way for the moment.

While I liked a lot of my time here, I think I echo the sentiment others have had here that my previous movie addiction and writing was mostly disassociating from dealing with a lot of personal issues and as much as I enjoy a good movie every now and again, the compulsion to fill up all my free time watching, writing and thinking about them is gone and I've become a lot more interested in spending time with people.

I will give you a few life updates:
-Still working on getting in control of my sleep apnea. Going to do a sleep study Wednesday night that should clear up a lot of the issues.
-Brother is getting married this weekend so I'm about to leave for that and it should be a good time.
-Went on a couple of dates with someone and we both mutually agreed that right now we don't feel anything romantic but both really want to keep talking to each other so we're just friends right now. She's got a background in theater and loves talking movies among other things so we end up having long conversations about our wide array of overlapping interests.
-I turn 33 next week, so I guess that's cool. I swear the years go by so much faster the older you get.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3054 on: July 08, 2022, 10:55:37 AM »
One of these days Noke is gonna pop back up and be like I’m 30 with a kid and we’re gonna be like no, you are still a teenager, don’t lie to us.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3055 on: July 11, 2022, 11:10:41 PM »
Popping into say hi and let you know I'm still around.
Thank you for staying in touch. Happy Birthday!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #3056 on: July 16, 2022, 06:27:08 PM »
Happy Birthday, Sam! :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3057 on: December 01, 2022, 06:07:13 PM »
I managed to stay in the same rental for 4.5 years and  been lucky to only have my rent increase by 2.5% since I moved in.  My landlord told me that I’d have to move after my latest lease extension as he wants to sell the house. My neighbour lives in a house that is a mirror image of mine and is moving to Australia so I thought maybe I could just move next door.  His current rent was 7.5% more than mine at the time but I know we are below current market rate, so was bracing myself to consider a 15 to 20% increase above what I currently pay if I could rent his place.

But it got listed for 70% more than I currently pay and had many viewers willing to pay more… Will start looking for a new place to rent in the new year.. i still have a backup to move back to my condo if needed but trying to stay closer to the office and town. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #3058 on: December 25, 2022, 06:17:05 AM »
Merry Christmas all, hope you have, or had, a fun and festive day.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3059 on: July 14, 2023, 02:57:12 AM »
The amount of coins I can find under my cushions on any good cleaning day makes me wonder how much money I lose every year elsewhere…

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love