Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 23945 times)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
A pretty good list overall, though I didn't really focus on specific rankings, more on the names that made it.

Thanks to worm/roujin

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Zhangke Jia, Bela Tarr and Hal Hartley were all tied on 100!!!!! (with a ranking difference of only 0.25%!!!!!!)

If only I put Bela Tarr in #1 instead of #2 he would have been the clear #100......

great to see the whole list - it looks very good

Thanks worm and roujin
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:53:40 PM by Tim »
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
A bit disappointed to see someone with only 2 films (Lynne Ramsay) in the list, and they are higher than Peter Weir who has at least 3 great films. Otherwise the list is looking great.

not to be unaustralian, however I think both of Lynne Ramsay's films are better than any of Peter Weir's (although I haven't seen Master and Commander - I hear it is fairly good). Her trajectory (if she keeps it up) will eclipse a lot of other directors. Same with Rian Johnson he just has two movies to his name so far, however, he also has that high trajectory. Time will tell.......Malick got #20 with only 4 films - which I think everyone (except flieger and roujin probably ;) ) will agree he deserves to rank high on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:49:34 PM by Tim »
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Is there anywhere I can see a quick list of the winner 1-100 without looking through several pages?
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
@zarodinu - download the spreadsheet from:

Here you go :)

but remember the pics and quotes in the forum though make the list a LOT more fun!!!!

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 07:56:44 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery device” and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
I love looking through the countdown, good job to all, I just like to have a handy dandy copy there.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

flieger

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 08:08:04 PM »
Time will tell.......Malick got #20 with only 4 films - which I think everyone (except flieger and roujin probably ;) ) will agree he deserves to rank high on.

Malick is great. The more outsiders on the inside the better.