Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 10959 times)

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Zhangke Jia, Bela Tarr and Hal Hartley were all tied on 100!!!!! (with a ranking difference of only 0.25%!!!!!!)

If only I put Bela Tarr in #1 instead of #2 he would have been the clear #100......

great to see the whole list - it looks very good

Thanks worm and roujin
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:53:40 PM by Tim »
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
A bit disappointed to see someone with only 2 films (Lynne Ramsay) in the list, and they are higher than Peter Weir who has at least 3 great films. Otherwise the list is looking great.

not to be unaustralian, however I think both of Lynne Ramsay's films are better than any of Peter Weir's (although I haven't seen Master and Commander - I hear it is fairly good). Her trajectory (if she keeps it up) will eclipse a lot of other directors. Same with Rian Johnson he just has two movies to his name so far, however, he also has that high trajectory. Time will tell.......Malick got #20 with only 4 films - which I think everyone (except flieger and roujin probably ;) ) will agree he deserves to rank high on.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 07:49:34 PM by Tim »
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • ďBy any seeds necessary.Ē
    • justAtad
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Is there anywhere I can see a quick list of the winner 1-100 without looking through several pages?
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
@zarodinu - download the spreadsheet from:

Here you go :)

but remember the pics and quotes in the forum though make the list a LOT more fun!!!!

Tim

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 07:56:44 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery deviceĒ and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
I love looking through the countdown, good job to all, I just like to have a handy dandy copy there.
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
One day I'll see y'all Olmi skeptics and nonbelievers on the road to Damascus.  I think this board is pretty weird (i.e. unique) in its lack of Antonioni fans (I'm not really one; I do love L'eclisse though) compared to other film crowds who are pretty familiar with the Criterion Collection.  Glad that Bahrani appeared on 4 lists.  Damn, I keep on forgetting about Gondry who should've been on my ballot.  Props to the other person who voted for Norstein.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

zarodinu

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
Top 5 10 should have made it

10. Wajda  (Kanal) - Great Polish director that will be big if people give him a chance.
9.  Kim Ji-Woon (Tale of Two Sisters) - Deserved more than just my vote, why Bondo?
8.  Kobayashi (Harakiri) - Amazing Japanese director, hopefully will make the next one.  
7.  Clouzot (Wages of Fear) - Sad to see I was alone in voting for him, every bit as good as Renoir.
6.  Rossellini (Rome Open City) - Deserved Fellini's spot, best Italian neorealist.
5.  Babenco (Pixote) - A director that deserves better than the scraps you people throw at him.
4.  Moodyson (F*cking Amal) - Deserves more love than just my own (thought you guys liked Amal).
3.  Guy Maddin (My Winnipeg) - Apparently all the Canadians here hate their country.
2.  Errol Morris  (Fog of War) - Unforgivable.
1.  Tarkovsky (Stalker) - No words, you are all dead to me

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery deviceĒ and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

Both Ramsey's film are far better than the Truman Show.

love