Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 10634 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Impressive list! I'm glad Hitchcock was #1 - he would have been mine for sure. I'm surprised Spike Lee is so low. I wonder if it's a matter of people not having seen many of his films or a matter or him being diminished by some of the awful stuff he's done (Miracle at St. Anna, She Hate Me, Girl 6).

A little of both for myself. I enjoyed Inside Man and loved 25th Hour but recognize that those two films are kind of departures for him.  I haven't caught up with Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X. And as you say, Miracle at St. Anna was awful.

munchin

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Impressive list! I'm glad Hitchcock was #1 - he would have been mine for sure. I'm surprised Spike Lee is so low. I wonder if it's a matter of people not having seen many of his films or a matter or him being diminished by some of the awful stuff he's done (Miracle at St. Anna, She Hate Me, Girl 6).

A little of both for myself. I enjoyed Inside Man and loved 25th Hour but recognize that those two films are kind of departures for him.  I haven't caught up with Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X. And as you say, Miracle at St. Anna was awful.

Oh you must, you must (like we all don't have 500 movies we need to catch up with...but you must  :D)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
Oh you must, you must (like we all don't have 500 movies we need to catch up with...but you must  :D)

So true ;D

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
Spike Lee has as many great films as horrible ones, so overall I'd say he's capable of being a solid director. On the bright side, stick around so you can vote the next time we do this Top 100.

munchin

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Spike Lee has as many great films as horrible ones, so overall I'd say he's capable of being a solid director. On the bright side, stick around so you can vote the next time we do this Top 100.

Oh he certainly has many more great films than horrible ones. It seems like he's caught up in that Woody Allen trap where he just has to release something Every year. Not every idea needs to play out over 120 minutes. But it's not like they're diminishing returns - just uneven. He followed Miracle at St. Anna with 'Passing Strange,' my absolutely favorite movie of 2009.

But thanks, I'll definitely stick around!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »
Are we doing this again this year, maybe after Performances is done?  I've been fine-tuning my list.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
I think the plan was for a year off. Filmspot season will be coming up soon.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »
Filmspot season will be coming up soon.

Kinda dreading that, I'm even more behind on new movies than usual this year.  I might sit it out.