Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 23898 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 08:18:06 PM »
One day I'll see y'all Olmi skeptics and nonbelievers on the road to Damascus.  I think this board is pretty weird (i.e. unique) in its lack of Antonioni fans (I'm not really one; I do love L'eclisse though) compared to other film crowds who are pretty familiar with the Criterion Collection.  Glad that Bahrani appeared on 4 lists.  Damn, I keep on forgetting about Gondry who should've been on my ballot.  Props to the other person who voted for Norstein.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
Top 5 10 should have made it

10. Wajda  (Kanal) - Great Polish director that will be big if people give him a chance.
9.  Kim Ji-Woon (Tale of Two Sisters) - Deserved more than just my vote, why Bondo?
8.  Kobayashi (Harakiri) - Amazing Japanese director, hopefully will make the next one.  
7.  Clouzot (Wages of Fear) - Sad to see I was alone in voting for him, every bit as good as Renoir.
6.  Rossellini (Rome Open City) - Deserved Fellini's spot, best Italian neorealist.
5.  Babenco (Pixote) - A director that deserves better than the scraps you people throw at him.
4.  Moodyson (F*cking Amal) - Deserves more love than just my own (thought you guys liked Amal).
3.  Guy Maddin (My Winnipeg) - Apparently all the Canadians here hate their country.
2.  Errol Morris  (Fog of War) - Unforgivable.
1.  Tarkovsky (Stalker) - No words, you are all dead to me
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery device” and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

Both Ramsey's film are far better than the Truman Show.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »
9.  Kim Ji-Woon (Tale of Two Sisters) - Deserved more than just my vote, why Bondo?
4.  Moodyson (F*cking Amal) - Deserves more love than just my own (thought you guys liked Amal).

I love Amal, but neither of Moodyson's other films have done anything special so he didn't make my list.

As to Kim Ji-Woon, I thought I had voted for him. Just checked my ballot (sent back in September) and I didn't. Guess I should have sent in my updated list after all (where he's 30th). I put it together yesterday but looked it over and didn't think things were so different that I would bother w@w with it. Kim Ki-Duk was 20 places higher on my updated list too, so that might have bumped him into the last few spots on the list, probably the only one that my not sending in the new list could have made a difference on.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2010, 09:12:19 PM »

I havent seen either film but there is no way this is true. Just no way. They'd literally need to be two of the very best films ever made.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »

So glad I haven't mailed out your Christmas card yet.  This is more inexplicable to me than anything Bondo or FLY ever posted.

Top 5 10 should have made it
9.  Kim Ji-Woon (Tale of Two Sisters) - One of my favorites working today, not All Time.  But certainly better than Bong Joon-ho

5.  Babenco (Pixote) - A director that deserves better than the scraps you people throw at him.
Agree.  As soon as I get my hands on the DVD, it's on!

3.  Guy Maddin (My Winnipeg) - Apparently all the Canadians here hate their country.
2.  Errol Morris  (Fog of War) - Unforgivable.
Three directors I don't love as much as the rest of you, but I expected to see them because of all the love on the boards.

1.  Tarkovsky (Stalker) - I didn't like him until Stalker.  Then he made my ballot.  So I ain't dead yet.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06:44 PM »
This is more inexplicable to me than anything Bondo or FLY ever posted.

Hey, what did I do? :D

I don't think I have a general trait of liking "bad" films and have a pretty consistent set of preferences that match when I don't like "great" films. I'm not just contrarian.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
One day I'll see y'all Olmi skeptics and nonbelievers on the road to Damascus.  I think this board is pretty weird (i.e. unique) in its lack of Antonioni fans (I'm not really one; I do love L'eclisse though) compared to other film crowds who are pretty familiar with the Criterion Collection.  Glad that Bahrani appeared on 4 lists.  Damn, I keep on forgetting about Gondry who should've been on my ballot.  Props to the other person who voted for Norstein.

I'm pretty sure I would have voted for Antonioni.

You know, had I managed to come up with a list.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »
You, Emiliana, et al should've just turned in a Top 5 respectively, at least.  I think I'm warming up to Antonioni again.  I have to be in a certain place to vibe with his films.  He directs some incredible performances, for sure.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 10:51:08 PM »
I actually thought today was the deadline and was going to do it this afternoon.  Then I saw they were halfway through with the countdown.  Next year!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"