love

Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 23905 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »
I quit reading after Clint Eastwood.  :-\

Don't worry Sam, I represented you in the chat room by asking "who is still putting Clint Eastwood on their ballot?"

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:27 AM »
One day I'll see y'all Olmi skeptics and nonbelievers on the road to Damascus.

I'm a true believer! He was #28 on my list. (I forgot I haven't posted my list yet, will do that tonight)

As for Antonioni, I've only seen Blow-Up, which I mostly liked.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
I quit reading after Clint Eastwood.  :-\

Don't worry Sam, I represented you in the chat room by asking "who is still putting Clint Eastwood on their ballot?"

I did and I stand by it. His has his weaknesses, but he has directed some great films.

Edit: more here
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:46:33 PM by Dave the Necrobumper »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 12:28:55 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery device” and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

Both Ramsey's film are far better than the Truman Show.

I will take:

Gallipoli (1981)
Dead Poets Society (1989)

Over Movern Callar, or for that matter either of Rian Johnson's films. The power of Gallipoli and Dead Poets Society to move the viewer, alone, provides, for me, enough evidence. So while Movern Callar and Brick are interesting, I would compare them will Picnic at Hanging Rock. The Brothers Bloom is more polished and shows Rian Johnson has great promise, but for me I need to see more before being convinced.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 12:37:42 PM »
How can either of her films be better than The Truman Show? I just don't see how that's possible. Very few films can claim to be better than The Truman Show.

you are talking about a film starring Laura Linney "the age-appropriate character delivery device” and Jim Carrey the biggest over-actor in hollywood........

;D

I will take:

Gallipoli (1981)

Over Movern Callar, or for that matter either of Rian Johnson's films. The power of Gallipoli and Dead Poets Society to move the viewer, alone, provides, for me, enough evidence. So while Movern Callar and Brick are interesting, I would compare them will Picnic at Hanging Rock. The Brothers Bloom is more polished and shows Rian Johnson has great promise, but for me I need to see more before being convinced.

I think it all ends up being totally subjective. I think the images, so stark and beautiful, that Ramsay is able to capture, and the storytelling through the camera, is so much more powerful then Gallipolli or the Truman Show, with those being two great movies, Truman Show being one of my favourites. But, I can see how the other way could be argued.

In  the same way, I'd say Birck is more powerful through imagery and the little detials then Weir's work, but not by a lot. They are all fantastic films by wonderful directors. Arguing is silly.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »
I'm going to grab a coffee and spend some time reading the quotes and jotting down titles of interest.

#100 to 91

Jia Zhang-Ke - The World (most appealling)
Satioshi Kon - Tokyo Godfathers (need to revisit)
MIchael Curtiz - Sea Hawk/Robin Hood (one for a marathon, the other because of its reputation)
Michael Weir - The Mosquito Coast, Fearless (the ones I haven’t seen)
Edward Yang - I wasn’t sure which one I’d like
Lynn Ramsay - Would I like Movern Callar? The trailer looks... okay.
Preston Sturges - I’m going to pass on Stuges for now.
John Carpenter - Halloween, Escape from New York / L.A. (these look fun)
Kevin Smith - Mallrats
Agnes Varda - The Gleaners and I (no trailer... but it looks like a movie where you get to watch people work... which is always kind of interesting).

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
Woohoo! Awesome work worm! I love the list (and presentation). Makes me excited to check out more from the ones I'm not very familiar with.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 12:53:46 PM »

;D

I will take:

Gallipoli (1981)

I think it all ends up being totally subjective. I think the images, so stark and beautiful, that Ramsay is able to capture, and the storytelling through the camera, is so much more powerful then Gallipolli or the Truman Show, with those being two great movies, Truman Show being one of my favourites. But, I can see how the other way could be argued.

In  the same way, I'd say Birck is more powerful through imagery and the little detials then Weir's work, but not by a lot. They are all fantastic films by wonderful directors. Arguing is silly.

Yes it does all come down to personal taste, but discussing/arguing is not all that silly. In the end I have trouble with seeing directors with so little output in the list, which is personal.

Also many thanks to Worm@Work and Roujin for the great work.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
I guess so.

Thanks worm and Rouj!! A wonderful job by both of you!
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »
Usually I can find a lot that I disagree with in these community lists.  I love doing them, but the results here, there's not a lot to whine about, so that makes these pretty great.  A few people I feel are underrated, a few that fell I still kind of feel are overrated, but in all, I'm pretty damn pleased.

Thanks to w@w and rouj!

love