Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion  (Read 23919 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors Countdown : Comments & Discussion
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
Preston Sturges - I’m going to pass on Stuges for now.

You should give him a go, he writes fantastic dialogue and his movies are always so much fun.

Doesn't really seem like my style (old) :-\

Well, I know you like QT, and I've been of the mind for a while that QT writes dialogue that he wishes was anywhere near as smart as Sturges', if that does anything for you. I'd say to give The Palm Beach Story a go, it's one of his greats, it's super on the dialogue and it's short, so if you don't like it then it won't take up too much of your time.

Or try Christmas in July, by the time you finish a bowl of popcorn, it's over.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »
Heh, Hitchcock wasn't even on my list.  ::)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 04:03:49 PM »
7.  Clouzot (Wages of Fear) - Sad to see I was alone in voting for him, every bit as good as Renoir.

How do you rank and rate his films?

I'd appreciate it if you chime in here.  If only to spark/increase interest in Clouzot.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
A belated but huge thanks to worm and rouj for all your work! And great list, everybody. Ken Loach is the one omission that jumps out at me - would love to see more Filmspotters catching up with his work.

Some directors on the list I am eager to catch up with:
99. Satoshi Kon
91. Agnès Varda
85. Peter Greenaway
82. Satyajit Ray
75. Luis Buñuel
68. The Dardennes
50. Apichatpong Weerasethakul
45. Frederick Wiseman
38. Federico Fellini

One day I'll see y'all Olmi skeptics and nonbelievers on the road to Damascus.  
Olmi will be on my list next year if I Fidanzati is as good as I suspect it will be. I probably ought to have included him on my list though, on the strength of Il Posto (and even Tickets) alone.

munchin

« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »
Impressive list! I'm glad Hitchcock was #1 - he would have been mine for sure. I'm surprised Spike Lee is so low. I wonder if it's a matter of people not having seen many of his films or a matter or him being diminished by some of the awful stuff he's done (Miracle at St. Anna, She Hate Me, Girl 6).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Impressive list! I'm glad Hitchcock was #1 - he would have been mine for sure. I'm surprised Spike Lee is so low. I wonder if it's a matter of people not having seen many of his films or a matter or him being diminished by some of the awful stuff he's done (Miracle at St. Anna, She Hate Me, Girl 6).

A little of both for myself. I enjoyed Inside Man and loved 25th Hour but recognize that those two films are kind of departures for him.  I haven't caught up with Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X. And as you say, Miracle at St. Anna was awful.

munchin

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »

A little of both for myself. I enjoyed Inside Man and loved 25th Hour but recognize that those two films are kind of departures for him.  I haven't caught up with Do The Right Thing or Malcolm X. And as you say, Miracle at St. Anna was awful.

Oh you must, you must (like we all don't have 500 movies we need to catch up with...but you must  :D)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
Oh you must, you must (like we all don't have 500 movies we need to catch up with...but you must  :D)

So true ;D

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
Spike Lee has as many great films as horrible ones, so overall I'd say he's capable of being a solid director. On the bright side, stick around so you can vote the next time we do this Top 100.

munchin

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Spike Lee has as many great films as horrible ones, so overall I'd say he's capable of being a solid director. On the bright side, stick around so you can vote the next time we do this Top 100.

Oh he certainly has many more great films than horrible ones. It seems like he's caught up in that Woody Allen trap where he just has to release something Every year. Not every idea needs to play out over 120 minutes. But it's not like they're diminishing returns - just uneven. He followed Miracle at St. Anna with 'Passing Strange,' my absolutely favorite movie of 2009.

But thanks, I'll definitely stick around!

love