Author Topic: 1SOs End of the Year Hit List  (Read 20348 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SOs 2010 Hit List
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
Sadly, that is very much correct. I can't get my dander up about it winning the Oscar because none of the other nominees thrilled me. Even looking at the entire submissions list for last year shows the best film I saw as Afghan Star. Bleak year in world film. Take that "2010 was a bad year" people. ;)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »
Have you seen Kells?

dallegre

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
Wild Grass and I Am Love are both readily available on DVD and should be seen.

I Am Love is on Watch Instantly.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:23 AM »
Have you seen Kells?
Saw Kells last year.

I have no interest in I Am Love

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
I wouldn't normally count on enjoying a film that both 1SO and Bondo didn't enjoy, but for whatever reason Secret In Their Eyes really satisfied me. I thought it was a really strong, self-contained little mystery. Heck, it even made me laugh a few times.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SOs 2010 Hit List - Enter the Void
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 03:35:18 AM »
Enter the Void

My friend complains that I don't see enough films in the theater, free of distractions as the filmmaker intended.  Because of that, I agreed to watch the latest by Gaspar Noe on the big screen instead of waiting for the Blu-Ray as I had planned.  I will say that he was right.  This film takes the audience on a pretty wild ride, but to get there you have to turn off your phone, turn out the lights and open your mind to the possibilities.

I've always been a defender of Noe and his two previous films, I Stand Alone and Irreversible.  Too many people write him off as a sensationalist and a button-pusher, but he's a much better filmmaker than that.  I'd go so far as to say that he's one of the top directors working today.  This is a concept filled with logistical difficulties and Noe is ingenious with his solutions.  This film isn't just a flashy feast for the eyes (and ears), it demands the heavy style placed upon it.  A style which yields remarkable results.  While the final half hour is about twice as long as it needs to be, this is simply an expertly directed film.

More people would be in awe of Noe's talent if not for his subject matter, which heavily features sex, drugs and horrific violence.  But he doesn't display these things to shock you, like say Paul Verhoeven or Larry Clark.  There's a dark poetry to the lurid imagery, and I was impressed that the packed house remained respectfully silent, though I imagine at least half of them were not happy with they were watching.  I couldn't easily recommend this film to anyone, but if you like Irreversible or Gaspar Noe or have a Really, Really, Really Open Mind for something different, then you might agree that Enter the Void is one of the better films this year.
Grade: B+
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:46:40 PM by 1SO »

FarfetchFilm

• never resist the unfamiliar.
    • The Film Tourist
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »
If you didn't like The Secret in Their Eyes you probably won't like I Am Love

I checked out your defense of Enter the Void, which has been getting your love on Filmspots, less just say I'm not interested in your opinion, i'd take Verhoeven over Noe anyday, a filmmaking prankster who is visual and ambitious but Noe ain't nearly as smart or funny in his ironic-films, he understands irony but can't deliver it in a film, instead he rests back on his Gaspar-motif of babies, a lazy frenchman he is.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »
I checked out your defense of Enter the Void, which has been getting your love on Filmspots, less just say I'm not interested in your opinion, i'd take Verhoeven over Noe anyday, a filmmaking prankster who is visual and ambitious but Noe ain't nearly as smart or funny in his ironic-films, he understands irony but can't deliver it in a film, instead he rests back on his Gaspar-motif of babies, a lazy frenchman he is.

I'm not interested in the opinion of someone who puts so little effort into his posts.  Holy run-on sentences.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »
Awesome, I should check out Enter the Void.

What about Monsters? Interest in that?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 08:10:24 AM »
I've never seen a Noe film...I think I might have to change that.

love