love

Author Topic: Help me remember the movie where....  (Read 88769 times)

slowpogo

• madeupwords
Re: Help me remember the movie where....
« Reply #480 on: March 08, 2017, 11:46:52 PM »
I recall a movie from when I was young, which was probably from the early 80s. I wanna say it was a Disney production, or at least, I'm pretty sure it ran on the Disney Channel.

This movie was an eerie mystery of sorts and involved several African American cast members (not even sure if there were non-black actors, though maybe there was a young white girl), and was set in a big house in a rural area. There were some creepy elements to it, including a Boo Radley type figure -- a scary old guy that people were afraid of. I'm trying to remember more but I can't, although I know I watched it many times.

Not a lot to go on but it's actually bugged me (in a low level way) for years.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #481 on: March 09, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
I can only think of The Peanut Butter Solution, though it doesn't fit all of your criteria.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #482 on: March 09, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
You've probably already perused it, but maybe this list will help jog your memory...
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

slowpogo

• madeupwords
« Reply #483 on: March 09, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »
Yeah, nothing there rings a bell, though it might be one of the titles that doesn't have any reference page.

Telegram Sam

« Reply #484 on: March 19, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
I saw it during a film festival in the seventies. From France I think.
A guy who works at a circus enters a nationally televised Bachelorette type competition.
Romantic comedy.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #485 on: June 10, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
I just watch a Korean film that had a scene that had a seen that I know was from a US film but I am not sure if the entire film is a remake or not.  I can't only remember the scene.  A husband is accused of his wife's murder but they don't have a body.  All the evidence is circumstantial and at one point the defending lawyer announces to the court that the missing wife is going to walk through the door on the count of three and he counts but nobody walks in. 

He sums up that they all looked so they all had doubt that she was really dead.  Now it is going to drive me crazy as I know the scene has been done before and maybe the entire film is a remake but I just don't remember the original film that well
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #486 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
Sounds like the flashback in an episode of Boston Legal.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #487 on: June 10, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
A little Googling tells me From the Hip

http://www.snopes.com/legal/nobody.asp

http://www.law.indiana.edu/instruction/tanford/web/movies/FromHip.htm

Defense: The reason a body was never found is because Liza Williams never died. She is on her way up these stairs, and in fifteen seconds Liza Williams is going to walk through those doors. [audience chuckles]

Defense: I guess I was wrong. Liza Williams is not going through that door. But every one of you looked. You all watched that door. You looked. You must have thought something, the suggestion that she just might... And if you thought for the slightest fraction that she could come through that door, then you have a reasonable doubt, and if you have a reasonable doubt, you must find the defendant not guilty! Now you remember, when you go back into that room to decide my client's fate, remember to ask yourselves one hard, honest question: did--you--LOOK?

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #488 on: June 11, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »
Hmm, I just saw or read this same scenario, except that the jury finds the defendant guilty after being convinced by the one juror who had the presence of mind to keep his eyes on the defendant, who didn't bother to look back toward the door. The way I saw/read it, the defense attorney (and I, as the viewer/reader) learns this when he interviews the juror in question, post-verdict.

Thanks a bunch, jdc. Now this is going to drive me crazy. Just out of curiosity, what was the Korean film?
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #489 on: June 11, 2017, 01:54:48 AM »
Hmm, I just saw or read this same scenario, except that the jury finds the defendant guilty after being convinced by the one juror who had the presence of mind to keep his eyes on the defendant, who didn't bother to look back toward the door. The way I saw/read it, the defense attorney (and I, as the viewer/reader) learns this when he interviews the juror in question, post-verdict.

Thanks a bunch, jdc. Now this is going to drive me crazy. Just out of curiosity, what was the Korean film?

Martin got the film I was thinking about.  I now remember watching From the Hip in high school.  But the Korean film did borrow partly where what you just mentioned.  After the case is over, the prosecutor goes to the defending lawyer and congratulates him on the brilliant strategy but then points out that they only person not to turn around and look at the door was the defendant.

The film is called The Client:http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_The_Client.php
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love