Author Topic: Help me remember the movie where....  (Read 88831 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Help me remember the movie where....
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:45 PM »
This is a black and white film that came out no earlier than 1999. It's a documentary or it's done in the style of a documentary, from a director who's still making movies. This might've been their first film or first fiction film. It's about murders in middle America, possibly in a single town (and the name of the town might be the name of the film.) I don't remember if the murders are connected. If I remember correctly, people never appear on camera. The imagery is all evocative while we get the details of the murders, like sheets on a laundry line or sun rising in the tall grass.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »
I haven't seen Wisconsin Death Trip, but your description is what I imagine it to be.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
That's it. James Marsh. Thanks.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #493 on: October 05, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
There's a moment in this movie when some pre-teens are doing something they shouldn't and one boy is writing a note. He says in the kind of drawn out way people do when they're talking while they're writing something like, "I'm signing my sister's name to it. That way if there's any trouble, she'll take the heat."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #494 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:53 PM »
Did anything come to mind? I've been trying to come up with it, because it sounds familiar. Or your description is just good and it's very easy to picture such a scene. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »
No. I keep wondering if I'm getting the gender wrong, but I still can't figure out why this kid would leave a note signing someone's name to the deed. Why leave that to be found?

I still hear the delivery very clearly in my head.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #496 on: August 12, 2019, 09:20:18 PM »
What movie has chanting of the phrase “yippy yi yay. Yippy yi yo”?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #497 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:46 PM »
Could be the Pecos Bill scene from Melody Time. The phrase is common in two classic cowboy songs, "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and "The Toughest Critter West of the Alamo"

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #498 on: August 13, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
I've never heard of Melody Time. You saying "Ghost Riders in the Sky" triggered it for me. It's that song from The Blues Brothers 2000!

https://youtu.be/vOVWx3iWrAI

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #499 on: June 28, 2021, 08:30:40 AM »
PlayPhrase.me could be a useful tool for this thread. You type in part of a line, and it returns video clips of the line in use in films. It's pretty impressive and responsive. I don't know how large the catalogue of movies is, or how it all works, and you're limited if you're not a paying member of the site, but still. It's really cool.