Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 1354043 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Respond to the last movie you watched
« Reply #13940 on: July 09, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
I guess that you could argue that they needn't have remade the movie. All they needed to do was to make a re-launch of the old series, showing the Raimi version in a theatre again. But hands on heart - how keen would the parents, who already have watched this movie as it came out - be to pay a full ticket price to see it once again? I think they want at least a little bit of variation. We've seen some attempts to do this, when they've slapped on some post-production 3D, as they did with The Lion King. But my impression is that it hasn't been any major success.

I distinctly remember seeing Fantasia and Snow White in theaters when I was a kid.  Revival screenings used to be very common and rather successful.  The home video market pretty much killed them, at least on a large scale.
Switchboard
Watched 2020

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  PoorCrap

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #13941 on: July 09, 2012, 04:52:21 PM »
Disney used to do that every year when I was a kid, a summer rerelease of a classic feature.  They stopped when they realized they could make more money selling "vaulted" VHS tapes.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #13942 on: July 09, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Being There (1979)
The performance here from Sellers is an interesting, highly mannered one. Yet that manner is so dry that it makes the film a bit aching at times. The film feels hours long under the weight of its overly formal nature. It's an interesting idea that just doesn't pan out.

2/5

Now watch a better version of a similar story line: Bad Boy Bubby
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #13943 on: July 09, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man (Marc Webb, US, 2012)

[...]

I guess that you could argue that they needn't have remade the movie. All they needed to do was to make a re-launch of the old series, showing the Raimi version in a theatre again.

This wasn't an option because if another Spider-Man film isn't made within the grace period designated in the contract with Marvel then Sony loses the film rights.  They chose a reboot over the alternative (i.e. making Spider-Man 4 without Maguire and Raimi).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:39:19 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13944 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
Revival screenings can still be successful...just slap 3-D on that sucker!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #13945 on: July 09, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »
I liked your idea of superheroes as the new fairy tale. It's an idea I had in college when thinking about writing an essay on modern retellings of the Odyssey. We don't have many folk heroes as Americans, at least, not at present. Superheroes are really our only examples, and as such I don't mind remakes and reboots and whatnot.

This carries over to all film, for me. Nothing is sacred. Everything can be done differently.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13946 on: July 09, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
Savages (2012)

I feel like Oliver Stone should be a better filmmaker than he is. With Savages, I was hopeful of an opportunity to see something insightful about the difference in drug industries of California and Mexico, and the relationship between them, government, and the likely future of legalization. After all, the current drug wars along the border are one of the more pressing issues of our time and are not discussed enough. Stone, with his interest in Latin America displayed in the excellent documentary South of the Border, seemed a capable person to bring such a story.

Savages has many interesting elements, even if it doesn't have the ambition that I might have liked to see, something that would follow naturally from something like Traffic. Stone however undercuts what he has with way too many indulgent flourishes including cuts to B&W or various color filters for no clear purpose. Occasionally narrated by O (Blake Lively), this is the story of the interaction between a pair of California growers Chon and Ben (Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Johnson) and a Mexican cartel that includes Lado (Benicio Del Toro), Alex (Demian Bichir, who gave one of the best performances of last year in A Better Life) and Elena (Salma Hayek). The young Americans are a bit in over their heads and things quickly get out of control.

This is a film that I'd say sits uncomfortably in its treatment of women, too often using them as mere barter, but it is a film that passes the Bechdel test with flying colors. Indeed, the film's best moments are discussions between O and Elena, and the contrast with Elena's relationship with her own daughter. These quiet moments were the strength and I wish Stone had been more willing to tell the story with them and more clearly paint the web of political considerations which are hinted at but not fully developed. Instead, it too often reverts back to a reliance on gruesome action that needs to be earned a bit more with context. The highs aren't high enough to cover for all the rough patches.

2/5

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13947 on: July 09, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
Savages (2012)

Stone however undercuts what he has with way too many indulgent flourishes including cuts to B&W or various color filters for no clear purpose.

Precisely this.

I consider it a bad sign when I "see the strings" on the very first viewing. That's the time when absorption in into the film is most likely! Too many off notes here though... good elements but not working in concert with one another.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #13948 on: July 09, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
Hasn't he done that in every film he's made since Platoon 25 years ago?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #13949 on: July 09, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Depends who you ask. For me Wall Street, Talk Radio, JFK and Any Given Sunday hit all the right notes, and hit them at the same time.