Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2531964 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #6790 on: August 24, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »
Fun movie!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6791 on: August 24, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
Greed (1924)

A good film, but far from the masterpiece I'd been led to believe. Perhaps it's elevated by its production reputation. (The version I saw ran about 2hrs 15min.) The story and acting are all fine. The drama is solid, but the filmmaking isn't magical like Fritz Lang, Borzage or even the two John Ford silent films I watched recently. Looking at The Best Films of 1924, it's a strong list and this would rank behind Sherlock Jr., Die Nibelungen, The Last Laugh and The Iron Horse. I'm not saying much about the film itself, but that's because I have very little to say. Nothing particularly interesting about it, but it is a good film.
RATING: * * *

I did not realise that this film was available, thank goodness for modern media (DVD's etc).
It is hard to judge a film that is so incomplete, it was 48 reels originally (I believe that is around 8 hours), then von Stoheim cut it to 4 hours, and did another cut to less than 3 hours, before the studio did a final cut. I am impressed that such a cut up and somewhat restored film can still garner a good film rating. It is possible the original version would have been a poor film due to it being unable to hold up its running time.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6792 on: August 24, 2011, 04:17:18 PM »

A month or so ago I watched and review the film The Best Years of Our Lives, which was directed by William Wyler and made such a tremendous impact on me that it managed a spot in my recent Top 100 Films list. When I spoke so highly of that film, I raised the question as to why Wyler, who has a very impressive filmography, was not regarded as highly as other giants in his era. With this conversation came the mentioning of this film, one I had not heard of before. But it stars Olivia de Havilland, whom I have loved in both The Adventures of Robin Hood and Gone with the Wind, as well as Montgomery Clift, whom I know very little, but was impressed with him in From Here to Eternity the other day (review coming).

Catherine Sloper (Olivia de Havilland) is a shy young lady who just so happens to be an heiress. She lives with her father Austin (Ralph Richardson) and her Aunt Lavinia (Miriam Hopkins). With the urging of her Father and Aunt, Catherine frequents social engagements, but because of her shyness has not yet found a suitor. Then Morris Townsend (Montgomery Clift) enters the picture and the two enter into a relationship that seems destined to love and marriage. But before the two can get that far, Austin begins to suspect that Morris is not who he says he is. He is not a rich man and because of this Austin fears he is merely a fortune hunter, and not Catherine's true suitor. But will her love for him prevent her from seeing what her father sees? Or is Austin mistaken in his assessment of Morris?

William Wyler continues to amaze me with the films he has directed and I have no reason to believe that anything else by him will not be to the same great standard he has thus far set. The story is very compelling and mysterious. For a dramatic romance, it almost reminded me a little bit of a noir, trying to figure out the true intentions of Morris was a nice little mystery inside the love story. Everything seemed to unfold just as it should, but I don't by any means mean to infer that it was predictable, in fact I mean just the opposite. The central performances were outstanding and I was not surprised at all to find out that de Havilland and Richardson were nominated for Academy Awards, with de Havilland winning.

I don't seem to know what it is but I am cosmically drawn towards Olivia de Havilland. She is not a knockout like many of her contemporary stars, but she has a subtle beauty that I find even more attractive, and it seems to sum up to a matter of cuteness. But above that she is a fantastic actress and her chemistry with co-star Montgomery Clift is very convincing, as is the interplay between her and Richardson, who gives the best performance of the three as the suspecting, overbearing father. And the performances are captured so beautifully with the black and white cinematography, which communicates a few other things as well. While there are numerous beautiful shots that really stand out, the biggest thing I noticed with the cinematography was the use of mirrors throughout. Now obviously this could just be a neat choice made by the filmmakers, but I like to read into things and the two things I came up with were interesting.

The first was the fact that mirrors often stand for vanity, vanity mirrors being one of those utilized here. The idea of vanity plays large into the film with all of the money involved. But the other one I found is far more interesting and that is the idea of Plato's Cave, an allegory which suggests that the reality we see is merely shadows reflected on a cave wall by a fire. In the case of the mirrors, we the audience, and the characters in the film, see things through the reflections on the mirrors, which depict reality, but with an opposite orientation, which layers the intriguing mystery of the intentions of Morris Townsend. Everything seems to come together in this film to make a very rewarding film experience. And the ending seems perfectly suited for such a tale.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6793 on: August 24, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »
Nice!  Glad you liked it.  Wyler is generally quite reliable.  Although Ben-Hur -- probably his best-known work -- is IMHO one of his weakest.

Shaw13

« Reply #6794 on: August 24, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Starter for 10 (Tom Vaughn, 2006)

Is a comedy that doesn't make you laugh a bad comedy, or it is really even a comedy in the first place? McAvoy tries hard to make his totally unlikeable character work, but even his efforts can't pull this past Brit-Flick mediocrity.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6795 on: August 24, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »

When I took a vacation to Hawaii a year or two ago one of the lasting memories I had was of the beautiful beaches all over Oahu. Honestly it is easily the best vacation I've ever been on. As a movie lover i was excited to see the famous Eternity Beach, named for the famous scene from this movie (see above picture). But much to my embarassment, and despite my excitement, I had not seen the film to that point. Well, now I have and thanks to stars like Burt Lancaster, whom I am slowing falling in love with (Sweet Smell of Success and Field of Dreams), Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra and Deborah Kerr, whenever I go back to Hawaii and see Eternity Beach I can say with pride I have seen the film, and it is just as classic as that beach. Oh yea, Ernest Borgnine shows up here too.

Robert E. Lee Prewitt (Clift) is a private with a history who has just transferred to 3rd Company based on Oahu. He quickly befriends Pvt. Maggio (Sinatra), but is not a quick fit for the regiment, whose Capt. (Philip Ober) wants Prewitt to box on the company team, but when Prewitt refuses he gives him a hell of a time, disciplining him at any chance. Meanwhile the company's Sgt. (Lancaster) is smitten with the captain's wife, Karen (Deborah Kerr). Add that to the romance Prewitt finds with club girl Lorene (Donna Reed) and the impending doom of December 7, 1941, and a powerful film results.

I think the most surprising part of this film was just how little Eternity Beach factored into the film. Sure, it is a fairly important moment in the affair between Sgt. Warden and Karen Holmes, but the moment is so fleeting I am somewhat surprised it became so iconic. Though I can certainly see why it is because not only is it a beautiful beach (I've seen it in person remember, I would know), but it is also a beautifully composed shot, with the tide rolling in over the couple kissing passionately on the beach. It is definitely a romantic shot, which brings me to my next surprise: this is a much more manly film than I expected. I even caught my dad watching from time to time.

The romance part of the film is certainly handled very nicely and Clift/Reed, Lancaster/Kerr are a big part of that, creating sincere romantic relationships amid the more serious aspects of military life. My apologies, what could be more serious than romance and love. But the rest of the film is really gritty, which took me by surprise. The main conflict in the film is between Captain Holmes and Prewitt, which at the end of the day seems a bit childish: captain punishes private for not boxing. But the way in which it is handled by Fred Zinnemann, whom I've not heard of though I have heard of his films oddly enough, is great. It really feels like a war film more than anything most of the time. Guys giving guys a hard time and Frank Sinatra really surprised me too. This might be the first film I have seen him in.

Sinatra's character, who acts as the closest friend and perpetual drunk to the determined straightforward Prewitt, is strangely endearing considering his knack at drunken misconduct. It is a well put together film and not really anything like I expected. Perhaps not the best romance, or best war film, but certainly miles better than another Pearl Harbor romance film, Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor. C'mon, I had to bring it up. You know I had to. Alright, I'll admit it, despite being about a couple love affairs between soldiers in Hawaii just as the tragedy of Pearl Harbor is about to happen, these two movies don't belong in the same conversation. One is good, one is bad.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6796 on: August 24, 2011, 06:11:45 PM »
The Interrupters 9.5/10

Squee! I just got tickets for the last showing after they tweeted that they only had 20 left. Close call! Hopefully they'll add more showings yet, but I didn't want to risk it. Can't wait!

It was pretty crazy last night. I've never seen the Siskel so packed, especially for a Tuesday night that didn't feature any guest appearance. I know it's coming back sometime in October, I'll probably try to catch it again then. I'm also really excited that they're getting the Tribe Called Quest doc this month, I missed it when it was here for a few weeks.

Hate all you US residents.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:14:15 PM by 'Noke »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #6797 on: August 24, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
William Wyler continues to amaze me with the films he has directed and I have no reason to believe that anything else by him will not be to the same great standard he has thus far set.

Your next Wyler film should be either The Little Foxes, Dodsworth or Stella Dallas. Barbara Stanwyck is great in the latter.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #6798 on: August 24, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
Stella Dallas is a King Vidor film, if I recall correctly.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #6799 on: August 24, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »
Stella Dallas is a King Vidor film, if I recall correctly.

Oops...you're right. I always associate Wyler with a Goldwyn production. I stand corrected.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

love