love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532240 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #7420 on: September 18, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
Bondo, why even post a review then?  No one is ever going to take you seriously.  Your reviews are entirely worthless.

If anyone takes his reviews seriously, I feel sorry for them.

Like it or not, there are people here that listen to you and trust your opinions.

Then shame on them for trusting the Armond White of this forum.

I've gotten to the point where I just look at the title of the film he's reviewing , then look at his rating and if it's below 3, I don't even bother to read it. He's made his stance known that he doesn't completely watch films or he watches them on accelerated speeds, and then feels that his review is still credible. It's comical at best, but actually kind of sad.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #7421 on: September 18, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »

The guy gives his honest opinion. Hardly Armond White, a bitter old academic with an axe to grind.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #7422 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »
Alright, I'm going to pretend to be a mod for a moment.

You can disagree with Bondo's opinions and his style, but this complete and personal dismissal of what he contributes to the forum is extremely uncalled for, and you should either stop, apologize or both.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Totoro

« Reply #7423 on: September 18, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »

With the subject matter of this film it may sound strange to say, but I want to live in this movie, and that is because of the awesome style of the film. I want to walk in slow-mo with awesome electronica playing around me, and awesome cinematography capturing my every move. I want to be able to emote my every thought with a look, body language, or even a good fist fight (or some such thing). But I don't think the style over substance argument is valid here either because, as cool as the film is and as minimal as the development seems to be, the subtlety of everything that is going on, the mood surrounding the film carry its stakes with them. Nicolas Winding Refn is able to fuse together seemingly everything under the sun to create an outstanding product. When the film concluded in my theater I wanted to stand up and applaud because it was one of the best I have seen all year and a film experience I won't soon forget.

Mood is created by the style, if you gave this script to Justin Lin or Louis Letterier, this would be a completely different film. Subtlety is a product of performances and direction as well. This is definitely style over substance.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bondo's reviews are bizarre, but not worthless in the slightest. I wish more people were like him. There's way too much group think in film criticism.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:39:19 PM by Totoro »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #7424 on: September 18, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »

The guy gives his honest opinion. Hardly Armond White, a bitter old academic with an axe to grind.

But I don't think it's his honest opinion, I think he just likes to push buttons by being a contrarian.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Totoro

« Reply #7425 on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:37 PM »

But I don't think it's his honest opinion, I think he just likes to push buttons by being a contrarian.

Bondo doesn't push his opinion on us though.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7426 on: September 18, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
Junior - I feel like if people haven't bothered with From Dusk Till Dawn by now, they probably never will. However, it is Robert Rodriguez at his best which is perhaps because it's the best script and acting ensemble he's worked with.

Corndog - nailed it. I too thought how cool it would be to live in that world. I would love for that creative team to come up with some clothes, a car and a mix tape for me.

Antares - If I didn't take Bondo's reviews seriously I wouldn't be happily doing a 2nd marathon with him. Like all film people, you learn their preferences. Their likes and dislikes. I'm not so interested in hearing smirnoff talk about Satyajit Ray, just like I'd be iffy about reading MartinTeller marathon the films of James Cameron. We're all at different stages of our film geek education. I have spotters who I read every word, sometimes more than once and there are spotters I just skim depending on what they're reviewing. But I'm respectful enough to not throw stones at those who I feel are not as good or as credible or (as is the case with a couple of you) as comprehensible as my favorites.

FroHam - Thank you for stepping in.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7427 on: September 18, 2011, 11:46:47 PM »
Junior - I feel like if people haven't bothered with From Dusk Till Dawn by now, they probably never will. However, it is Robert Rodriguez at his best which is perhaps because it's the best script and acting ensemble he's worked with.

That wasn't real, by the way. It was a clever little jab at Bondo. Something about stopping halfway.

Here's the thing. I'm one of those people that trust what Bondo has to say about things. So it really gets to me when he doesn't give what I think is a great movie the time it deserves to be considered in a meaningful fashion. That's where my problem comes in.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #7428 on: September 19, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »

That wasn't real, by the way. It was a clever little jab at Bondo. Something about stopping halfway.

Here's the thing. I'm one of those people that trust what Bondo has to say about things. So it really gets to me when he doesn't give what I think is a great movie the time it deserves to be considered in a meaningful fashion. That's where my problem comes in.

I thought it was a fake. I was just calling you out.  ;)

Often when Bondo watches or is about to watch something I love, but that I think is not his type of movie I will PM him some non-spoilery encouragement. It's less antagonistic to talk off the record about specific bits you think might be a hurdle, and to hint at why the rewarding parts of a film are worth getting too.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #7429 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »
Bondo, why even post a review then?  No one is ever going to take you seriously.  Your reviews are entirely worthless.

I care about Bondo's reviews far more than yours thanks to comments like this.