Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2531914 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #830 on: January 18, 2011, 08:00:12 PM »
It hasn't really stuck with me after seeing it in theaters, but I found it to be fun enough, smirnoff.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #831 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:33 PM »
Scott Pilgrim vs the World -

Not unlike my experience with Speed Racer. All spectacular at first but by the end I'm bored. I don't know if it's a case of style over substance... I mean the story is creative enough. Maybe it's just the repetitive nature of it. Whatever the case, I didn't really care for it. A few good laughs, that's about it.

exactly how I felt.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #832 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
It hasn't really stuck with me after seeing it in theaters, but I found it to be fun enough, smirnoff.

Seems like it would be a better theater film.

Also, it made me feel old :(

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #833 on: January 18, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Ahead of Get Him to the Greek, Somewhere, and half of Valentine's Day, that is my most watched 2010 film. The Social Network will be with the former crown once it arrives, I reckon.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #834 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962)

The marathon steamrolls ahead with the great John Ford.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #835 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »
Everytime I see Scott Pilgrim I think I should watch it again because it was so funny and then I don't because the plot was rendered so inconsequential by its delivery.

Devil

M. Night's mind does it again.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #836 on: January 18, 2011, 10:05:28 PM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #837 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
Natural Born Killers

While it uses violence to criticize audience fascination of violence, by the end of the film it has become just as prolific and desensitizing to violence as the media it is criticizing.

You plucked that review right from my brain.  Though I can admire it's technical ingenuity the film - shot by shot it's one of the best photographed movies ever, though the images are hammered together too much for you to bask in their glory - the crass overbaked approach works against the movie.  I was forgiving up until the Dangerfield scene which (exactly as you say) goes on too long.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #838 on: January 18, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Natural Born Killers is the worst movie sitting on my shelf of Blu-rays. And I have High School Musical 3, Twilight, Cop Out, and Troll 2.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #839 on: January 18, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
Dogtooth

It's amazing how fascinated I am by the premise of this movie. I've discussed the topic more often than makes sense! :) If you don't know the premise, you should really watch it blind. It's really fun to discover as you watch.

It's a pretty strange movie. The line between humor and drama is very blurred, but I found it quite effective at being both deeply disturbing and quite funny. Beyond the basics, I'm not sure it has much to say about the perverse social experiment it portrays, but it remains interesting enough to sustain the film.

Rabbit Hole

A rather nice, if not wholly original, drama about grief. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart both give great performances, although something about Kidman bothered me from time to time. The subject is perhaps a little too bluntly addressed at times, but for the most part it's well written. I really admired that the characters were able to be portrayed under the weight of such intense emotion - and the conflicts that created - without losing their sympathy. It doesn't avoid going big when it wants to, but there is an intelligent restraint to it that keeps it from going down (most of) the obvious roads.

love