Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532395 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
Oh, I see.

I think they just recognized a kindred spirit in him.  Themselves as old men.

Yeah, I can see that :). Plus, thinking back on it now, the scene where they're eating spaghetti and he shows them his gun chops does establish where the respect/bonding comes from. I think I just found it a little short on story or something :). It's still a fun movie.

Yeah.  My problem with the film was that I think the whole memory thing doesn't really develop anywhere interesting, unlike in other recent crazy films written by Wai Ka-fai like Mad Detective or Written By.  It seems like it's missing either depth or at least that extra level of gonzo.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:35:18 AM by pixote »
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:58:09 AM »
Whoa. I think I just got the last review in the original "Write about" thread. And thus the Frozen Hamster reigns supreme!
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:00:17 AM »
La Danse: The Paris Opera Ballet  (Frederick Wiseman, 2009)
The best documentary of last year (and again this year, Filmspot-wise) is probably a better celebration of the human body in motion than Riefenstahl's Olympia.  Totally unexpected from Wiseman, too, who I think has more a reputation for a critical eye for a look of wonder.  The long takes are wonderfully immersive, but also very conducive to getting lost in thought about various unspoken and undirected themes.  Standout scenes include one particular rehearsal of a pas de deux and the exqusitely filmed performance of Medea and her children.  Art from art.
Grade: A-

It has been a while since pix wrote this, but somehow, I remembered that he loved the film, which was all the motivation I needed go and see this on the big screen today. I believe the Sunday matinee screening was the perfect setting for this, too. Unfortunately, I missed the first six or seven minutes because I had to dig my car out from under a pile of snow - considering that this film has a runtime of 159 minutes, that doesn't seem like much, but I am sorry for every moment that I missed, because the rest of the film is a thing of beauty.

I am not a documentary person AT ALL, so I don't even know how common or rare it is to present a subject matter completely without commentary or narration, without interviews, without any kind of narrative. This style of filmmaking seemed perfect for the subject of dance: nothing distracts you while you are observing these people during rehearsals and in performance, and thus, nothing distracts from the amazing artistry, control, dedication, strength, poise and grace that is on display here.

I wonder how much footage Wiseman shot for this film - apart from the many fascinating rehearsal and performance scenes, you also catch a glimpse of the business side of running a ballet company, and there were a few extremely interesting moments in there as well. But it's not only what Wiseman shot, also how he shot it - he has an amazing eye for locations in and around the building, and for camera placement and framing during the many dance sequences.

This film may not be for everyone because it does require a little patience and the willingness to be immersed in the world of ballet, but I think it's obvious that I really loved it.

So glad you liked this, Emiliana! I wish it was readily available on DVD so that more people could see it before the Filmspots. (The availability issue kept me from dictating it in this month's MDC.)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 02:00:48 AM »
Whoa. I think I just got the last review in the original "Write about" thread. And thus the Frozen Hamster reigns supreme!

PIXOTE! STOP ENCOURAGING HIM!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:06:26 AM »

PIXOTE! STOP ENCOURAGING HIM!

"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:13:10 AM »
I feel like a small part of me just died.

A very small part.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:15:22 AM »
Great. We're stroking the hamster's ego again.  ::)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:17 AM »

Four Lions 8.5/10

This is the funniest film I've seen since In The Loop. Brilliant, biting comedy about a group of four British terrorists. Great writing to go along with some wonderful physical comedy. While there isn't a clear Capaldi-esque standout, the ensemble work is very strong. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would take issue with a film turning suicide bombing into a punchline, but those people really miss the point. Bonus points for using the Aphex Twin song "Avril 14th" (you might know it better as the sample in Kanye's "Blame Game") over the end credits. Definitely one I will be considering for a slew of Filmspots.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:28:15 AM »
I feel like a small part of me just died.

A very small part.

Fixed!

I just couldn't bare it.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 02:56:54 AM »
Rewatched Adaptation. for about the fifth time and enjoyed the last (Donald's) act more than ever before. So very clever.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx