love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532549 times)

flieger

Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 03:08:08 AM »
I haven't watched any movies, but it's just weird having this thread in the unread posts section.  :(

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »
I haven't watched any movies, but it's just weird having this thread in the unread posts section.  :(

Agreed.

rambler

• I don't object to a reasonable amount of trouble.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:04 AM »

No new movies to report, just marking the new post...

I had some sort of weird dream that I can't remember, so I'm just going to give that 2/5 and blame the director.
"It's Subjective": an experiment in why we like what we like
http://www.filmspotting.net/forum/index.php?topic=9585.msg558331#msg558331

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:40:41 AM »

Written By (Ka-Fai Wai, 2009)
A really clever take on the ideas of loss, grief and letting go. It starts off as a little family drama where the father dies in a car crash and the now-blind daughter starts writing a novel in which he lives on while the rest of the family is dead but living on as ghosts. Except, soon the dad in the novel starts writing his own novel in which it's the family that lives on while he dies. Soon these alternate worlds start to loop together and Wai uses this Russian-doll like plot structure to tell a story that's just magical and warm and funny and genuinely touching. It has all of the meta-cleverness of a Kaufman film with some Miyazaki-like magic thrown in and much more emotion. I totally loved it.
Grade: B

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
and Wai uses this Russian-doll like plot structure to tell a story that's just magical and warm and funny and genuinely touching.

That's a good way to put it.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
I Saw The Devil
Dir. Ji-Woon Kim

With the exception of the action direction and fight choreography I can say, without a semblance of misgiving that this is one of the most pointless and despicable movies I've ever sat through.  Brutal, mean spirited, nonsensical are all words that come to mind.  I'm angry for having sat through this, but I kept thinking there would be some sort of payoff, some way to make it worth the effort.  But this is one long, agonizing and intolerable mess that redeems itself in no way.  I predict that this is going to have a massive following here on the boards, so I'm planting the flag and staking my claim that I hated it first.  I'm the guy.  This movie made me angry, can you tell?

Grade F

If I gave F-'s this would be one.  This is the movie to beat in 2011 for worst of the year.  Well, at least I got it out of the way early.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
I didn't like the other Kim Ji-Woon film I saw (A Bittersweet Life), but this one seems divisive enough to be worth watching.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
I really liked A Bittersweet Life a lot and sought this out because of the repairing of star and director.  I am not impressed.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:47 PM »
I Saw The Devil
Dir. Ji-Woon Kim

With the exception of the action direction and fight choreography I can say, without a semblance of misgiving that this is one of the most pointless and despicable movies I've ever sat through.  Brutal, mean spirited, nonsensical are all words that come to mind.  I'm angry for having sat through this, but I kept thinking there would be some sort of payoff, some way to make it worth the effort.  But this is one long, agonizing and intolerable mess that redeems itself in no way.  I predict that this is going to have a massive following here on the boards, so I'm planting the flag and staking my claim that I hated it first.  I'm the guy.  This movie made me angry, can you tell?

Grade F

I don't think you will be alone with this reaction on the board.  I liked it, but can't really disagree with anything you write.  It certainly pushes the envelop in terms of offending the viewer.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
and Wai uses this Russian-doll like plot structure to tell a story that's just magical and warm and funny and genuinely touching.

That's a good way to put it.

Indeed, as is the Kaufman comparison: Wai is like a Charlie Kaufman who likes people.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"