love

Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532343 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »
Easy Rider

It's amazing to me that this film has not dated at all. It's a time capsule, but it still feels fresh and unique. A true artistic work that stands and evolves. There's not much plot, it's really just a road movie with random scenes, but they all add up to a finale that signals the end of something. It's the end of an era, the end of a youth, and the deep sadness that goes along with that. Hopper's direction in most places feels positively modern. It's gritty, but it captures the beauty of the land and thus the beauty of the country. This is the kind of cinematic poetry I love.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:39 PM »
Two Lane Blacktop is better.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
That's all well and good, I guess I should check that out, too.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
It's not just a random comparison.  Both films are trying to say pretty much the exact same thing via cross-country travel.  But they take wildly different approaches to the material.  Easy Rider is relentlessly verbal, with lots of ACTING and CRAZY DRUG SEQUENCES and such.  Blacktop is cinematically restrained and, in my opinion, truly poetic.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #874 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Really? Relentlessly verbal? Because I thought a lot of the talking was just there to have talking. Some of it is interesting, but it played to me as inconsequential. That is, until the line, "We blew it." For me, Easy Rider worked much more as a visual and musical portrait.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #875 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
Tangled

Ask me how I feel.  I feel like I could take on the whole Empire by myself.  That's how good Disney's latest animated feature made me feel.  I love when I see a great film how it charges me, energizes me full of life and love and all the great tingly type feelings.  Yeah, I liked it that much.

The flaws are there.  The music is really...  lackluster. It starts off like a musical, then mostly abandons the format for a conventional narrative structure with the odd burst of song.  Which is fine by me.  The songs felt like an after thought.  What you're left with is terrific.  A really fun and exciting Adventure film.  The action scenes were outstanding, really exciting, they drove the story with lots of momentum and established likable characters.  

And its the first Disney film (excluding Pixar collaborations) where I felt the emotions they wanted me to feel.  I was on the edge of my seat during the action.  I was scared when the two brutes went after Rupunzel.  I got caught up in the romantic aspects of the film.  It really had it all.

And did I mention this is funny?  No?  Well it is!  Its the most I've laughed at any film in 2010!  I haven't seen Four Lions, yet but I found this hilarious.  

The viewing experience helped immensely.  I went with two good friends and we were the only people in the theater, so we were free to really enjoy ourselves.  Not that we were rude or anything, but we felt free to laugh at everything we found funny.  To geek out from time to time and really enjoy watching a film together.  We fed off each other's love for the film and there were no cell phones ringing, or illuminating the theater so someone could read and respond to a text, and no talking.  

So, yeah, I loved it.  My favorite Disney film since The Lion King.  Yup, I totally just said that and meant it.

Grade A
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #876 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »
I don't want to shit all over your happiness, so I won't. Maybe 1SO will, who knows.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #877 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
Don't care.  Its resting comfortably at No.6 on my Top Ten of the Year.  You know why?  Cause its awesome!   :P
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #878 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:40 PM »
The Hudsucker Proxy

I've always gotten the feeling that I appreciate this movie more than most. I don't know if it's because I know so well the old movies that this is playing with, or because I watched it years before I would have any real idea of who the Coen brothers were. But I think it's a superb comedy, lovingly crafted and packed with detail.
It's a real fun movie and the Art Direction is jaw dropping in places.  I don't know why most people don't know this, but Sam Raimi had a hand in directing this film.  The Coens never use a 2nd Unit Director, but for budget reasons they enlisted Raimi to direct what is the best sequence.  The Hula Hoop Sequence.  Raimi also plays one of the brainstormers trying to name the thing.

The Hudsucker Proxy - Hulahoop

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #879 on: January 19, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »
Whoa. I knew he co-wrote the script, but had no idea he directed that sequence. It's awesome. Could you imagine if Raimi and the Coens teamed up again on something today? I would be there so damn fast!