Author Topic: Respond to the last movie you watched (Jan 2011 - Nov 2013)  (Read 2532217 times)

MP

• idFilm
Re: Write about the last movie you watched
« Reply #6820 on: August 25, 2011, 01:00:41 PM »
Thank you, OAP. I watched Bride of Frankenstein straight after Frankenstein, and it's the first time I've preferred the earlier film.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6821 on: August 25, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
Fantastic stuff, MP. I love your social class breakdown of some of these films. Great thoughts on Chocolat and love your write-ups of Malick's work.

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #6822 on: August 25, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »
Fantastic stuff, MP. I love your social class breakdown of some of these films. Great thoughts on Chocolat and love your write-ups of Malick's work.
Thank you! I much preferred Chocolat's specificity over the deliberately more universal White Material; though having loved the earlier film, I'm keen to revisit the latter. Can't say I found L'intrus as riveting as I had remembered; thoughts to come on that and others...

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #6823 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
Re Marienbad. I can't think of another recent film that has lodged so many images in my head. Given so much of what it is about centres around memory and fragmented memories at that, it clearly did it's job. For instance, a section discussing statues- those images of the male & female statue are so imbedded in my mind. Defines art house and all of the positive aspects of film as art and only a few of the laughable aspects (why so serious?) of same (and I did laugh a couple of times). The fact that there are some psychologically damaging parts to the same film is quite extraordinary. I want to see it again it is just that I watched this on a big screen, it feels like that is it's natural habitat, and I won't get too many chances to see it in a cinema again.

@ Antares & MT - watched Detour very interesting changes during the film i.e. the female hitchhiker he picks up (I mean hitching is just a bad idea) but the dvd was so broken I only caught some of the ending, so I don't feel in a position to say more than that the film was put together with a sponge and a rusty spanner ( Smiths reference).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:25:46 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MP

• idFilm
« Reply #6824 on: August 25, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
I want to see it again it is just that I watched this on a big screen, it feels like that is it's natural habitat, and I won't get too many chances to see it in a cinema again.
I saw it in a cinema this time too (previously on DVD), though I think the Watershed got it earlier than we did in the north, assuming you saw it there.

I love that 'Pick up Rows' game; I always laugh when M wins. (And just realised the actor playing him was in Dario Argento's Inferno, which I saw a couple of months ago.)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #6825 on: August 25, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
No I saw it at the BFI in London but the Watershed is a great cinema. My son just got back from seeing The Guard there today (highly recommended) & I have tickets to Days Of Heaven next week, which is doing the rounds of the country in the next few weeks.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #6826 on: August 25, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
Thank you! I much preferred Chocolat's specificity over the deliberately more universal White Material; though having loved the earlier film, I'm keen to revisit the latter. Can't say I found L'intrus as riveting as I had remembered; thoughts to come on that and others...

Glad you liked Chocolat.  It's one my wife watches pretty frequently and I always find myself getting sucked in.  One thing I like is they give just a smidge of depth to Comte de Reynaud (Alfred Molina), instead of him being the usual religio-political corruption-of-power commentary delivery device.  Yeah, that's there too, but I think we come away thinking he, just like everyone else in that small town, is just tryting to find what's right and keep true to it. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #6827 on: August 25, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »
I think you mixed your Chocolats.  Claire Denis directed one that came out in 1998.  Lasse Hallstrom directed one from 2000.  Alfred Molina is in the Hallstrom movie.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Moderator Kitty

« Reply #6828 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »
I think you mixed your Chocolats.  Claire Denis directed one that came out in 1998.  Lasse Hallstrom directed one from 2000.  Alfred Molina is in the Hallstrom movie.

far more preferable:
the asian kung fu version
with autistic girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGjUyu9c8Ng
will write haikus for milk ^ ^

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6829 on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:50 PM »
Yea, I was about to say, when was Molina in a Denis movie?